Rallye Pac Cluster Swap Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

RocketMan83

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 8, 2007
Barrie & Milton, Ontario
I am putting in a Rallye cluster into my '83 V6 Cutlass. I've been using the oldsgmail how-to to find out what parts I need. I took a oil sender off of a 307 Toronado with gauges. The oil sender I have has one terminal and the switch & plug thats on my Cutlass has two terminals. I was wondering if the Toro. oil sender is wrong or I have to modify the Cutlass harness for the one terminal oil sender.

Kyle

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
RocketMan83 said:
I am putting in a Rallye cluster into my '83 V6 Cutlass. I've been using the oldsgmail how-to to find out what parts I need. I took a oil sender off of a 307 Toronado with gauges. The oil sender I have has one terminal and the switch & plug thats on my Cutlass has two terminals. I was wondering if the Toro. oil sender is wrong or I have to modify the Cutlass harness for the one terminal oil sender.

Kyle

Kyle,

Your V6 uses an electric choke, the 307 does not. The tan wire on your current sender runs the oil light (or gauge) and the blue wire runs the electric choke. You must keep this wire and sender if you want the choke to work properly.

You have two choices. First is find the sender from a similar year Buick V6 with an oil press gauge and a carb. The EFI motors probably won't have the right sender. The other option is to use a "T" fitting on the oil pressure tap on the motor and install both senders. Hook the tan wire to the single terminal on the 307 sender and leave the blue wire on the original sender. That will allow you to keep the electric choke while also having the gauge work.

fodoimp

Master Mechanic
Oct 8, 2006
Southern New Jersey
does this rally gauge cluster plug in like the stock non rally cluster. I havent pulled mine yet to see if the backs look similar. Is it a matter of changing sending units because I am going to be switching to chevy so the choke thing is not an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor