Ram Air Hood

Discussion in 'Oldsmobile Cutlass / 442 / Hurst/Olds' started by mondo1, Nov 2, 2010.

1. mondo1

mondo1 Not-quite-so-new-guy

Here is a quick photoshop which will shows the original height and the height we are going for, we didnt want too extreme but still wanted a little taller giving it the subtle aggressiveness, Meaty yet still gentlemanly :D

Attached Files:

2. mondo1

mondo1 Not-quite-so-new-guy

[​IMG]
    here is an update of the hood were putting our first one together you can see the air box is in place which will draw the air from the ramair scoops and direct it into the carb :D

3. HILTON

HILTON Apprentice

I think that the scoops should line up with the grills like the orginal one looks. All though that would make the scoops a little more narrow. Look at the red hood and you will see what Im talking about. These hoods are still bad a$$ more so when you compare them to a giant cowled hood.

4. MR442

MR442 G-Body Guru

Great work ..

Like a few others I want a belongs there look . It a bold hood no matter what .

Thinner side profile is major one . Really sticks out . I know function of ram air dictates the height.

But great job just getting after market part for Gbody is great

5. Brick442

Brick442 Master Mechanic

I'd definitely get this hood for my 85 if it were offered . . . I hope the angle of the scoops are addressed though

6. crucial118

crucial118 G-Body Guru

7. Brick442

Brick442 Master Mechanic

I think the reason these W25 types of hoods for the 81-88s haven't sold well in the past is because many feel that the angles of the scoops are incorrect for the G-Body . . . it doesn't line up well with the hood edge.

I made this quick Photoshop of what people been asking for regarding the angles. Some even feel that the scoops are too narrow . . . however I don't feel thats a problem if the angles are correct.

[​IMG]

8. papabearxl

papabearxl Royal Smart Person

I like it as origianally posted.......if i had the money, and they were produced, I would want one for my 83 Cruiser and my 87 salon......

9. Stokedcutlass

Stokedcutlass Not-quite-so-new-guy

I hate to bring back a dead thread but I've been looking everywhere for one of these hoods for my 80 olds cutlass s. And all I can find is the dang cowl hoods can anyone point me in the direction of a comp that makes one I checked vfn s website and nothin any help would be fantastic

10. joe_padavano

joe_padavano Royal Smart Person

There are two styling problems with the W-25 hood on a G-body. The first is the angle of the leading edge of the scoops. The second is the width of the scoops. On the 1970-72 cars, the width of the scoops was chosen to match the width of the grilles. It's way off on the G-body grilles.

[​IMG]

VS.

[​IMG]