Rambler Father/Daughter/Son Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

viperedvette

Apprentice
May 9, 2012
Saskatchewan, Canada
Well right after the kids got off the bus today we tore right into the starter removal. I set up the pnuematic tools for them as I knew the bolts would be too tough for them to wrench :wink:

The first bolt (top) came right out without a hitch.....but I helped with the bottom bolt as it was really tricky to get at. When we pulled the starter out I showed them how a starter should work and how the gears mesh with the fly wheel teeth and turn the engine over. i had them check to see if the gears spun on the starter or were seized. They spun them with there fingers so good news that it wasn't mechanical. I hooked up the battery and had the starter wedged in beside the motor and showed them how to jump start a starter. It sparked a bit when I touched the screw driver to the connections and my daughter says "I doubt that was supposed to happen, right Dad?"

.....anyways it didn't spin or even make a noise so we disconnected the starter and set it on the hood to have a closer look. I noticed that there was a rubber cover on the side and that it was badly cracked and split. I had them cut away the rubber to see what was under it?........rust...... :roll: .....so out came the wire brush and sandpaper and away they went cleaning it up. When they were done cleaning most of the rust off, i noticed how it looked like a cylinder with a plunger thingy attached to it :wtf: ..........so out comes the good ol' WD-40 and a persuasion stick lol.

.....after soaking it for a while and some light taps with a hammer, sure as heck it started moving!!.......so more cleaning, sanding, wiping, spraying and soon the plunger moved freely down by pushing it in and would spring back on it's own.

....I hooked the starter back up, connected the battery grabbed the screwdriver and......Whalla!! The plunger sucked in and the starter spun like it should!

Long story short....we all learned something tonight, and had a lot of fun doing it! Thanks to Driven for the help and suggestions :D

Before we quit for the night I had the kids pour some brake fluid down the sparkplug holes so it can sit for awhile and loosen things up a bit. This weekend I hope the kids can get the motor freed up and turning over! I do have some pictures of tonights activities but need to download and then I can post them. They should be up tomorrow night sometime. Thanks again everyone and I will keep posting their progress, and keep sending suggestions! :wink:

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
you have a nice family that works together, you and your wife must be proud. Any chance of getting any reports by the car owners themselves?.

lg1200

Master Mechanic
Mar 1, 2011
i have a 8 year-old son i'm trying to get into cars slowly having him help me around the shop and when i'm working on the regal but he'd honestly rather be taking batting practice or shooting hoops...this is good stuff with you and your kids..they'll remember these times forever bro..

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Glad to hear you guys are making progress. Do they have their own toolbox yet? I remember when my dad gave my brother and me an old one he had along with some hand-me-down tools. It made it more fun to hang out in the garage. It made it feel like we were working more than just helping. It also taught us about about taking care of your tools and keeping things organized. Plus, we didn't get blamed as much when his stuff turned up missing :wink: .

viperedvette

Apprentice
May 9, 2012
Saskatchewan, Canada
pontiacgp said:
you have a nice family that works together, you and your wife must be proud. Any chance of getting any reports by the car owners themselves?.

I told my daughter about this site and how I am posting our progress, I think that would be a great idea for her to help write the updates! Then it's coming from their perspective :wink: ....and they can bash Dad as well too! we actually drive my wife crazy with cars!! lol! She likes that we are working together though.

lg1200 said:
i have a 8 year-old son i'm trying to get into cars slowly having him help me around the shop and when i'm working on the regal but he'd honestly rather be taking batting practice or shooting hoops...this is good stuff with you and your kids..they'll remember these times forever bro..

It's a struggle between sports and vehicles! but at least they are active! My 8 year old son is good for about an hour then needs a break usually and I don't force it. It's a little frustrating at times but I have lots to keep me busy with my G's so I just switch to one of my cars or continue working with my daughter, be patient it'll come. :D

tc1959 said:
Two Thumbs Up. Go For IT.

Thanks! I have a feeling we might actually get this thing running yet!

DRIVEN said:
Glad to hear you guys are making progress. Do they have their own toolbox yet? I remember when my dad gave my brother and me an old one he had along with some hand-me-down tools. It made it more fun to hang out in the garage. It made it feel like we were working more than just helping. It also taught us about about taking care of your tools and keeping things organized. Plus, we didn't get blamed as much when his stuff turned up missing :wink: .

I like that idea! Their socket and wrench set (That the Easter Bunny brought) came in it's own case, but I have a couple old tool boxes kicking around and a various assortment of extra tools I could split up and hand them down. I will organize that on the weekend. Thanks for the idea!! :D.......wish us luck this weekend!! :mrgreen:

viperedvette

Apprentice
May 9, 2012
Saskatchewan, Canada
.....and in the mean time, just because I know people like pictures, I will post some pics of some other projects the kids and I have worked on in the last couple years!.....enjoy! :D .......

I usually hit up a lot of garage sales and started finding old 100cc enduro's selling for cheap! ......and from reading other forums i got the inkling to try a few custom builds! Here are some pics of a military replica bike and a chopper we built....

normal_DSC00787%5B1%5D.JPG

this is how it started out as...

2.jpg

then this....

mj.jpg

....a little of these....

jk.jpg

a bit of that...

bvf1.jpg

My daughter helping paint the ammo boxes ect....

yt.jpg

and whalla!...a few moremods...

normal_modified.JPG

...finally some stencels and done!

normal_DSC00786%5B1%5D.JPG

My daughter testing it out with my buddy looking on.....

yg.jpg

here's the chopper/rat bike? lol....

uy1.jpg

...even did a Harley Davidson and The Marlboro Man tank replica painting lol!...

as5.jpg

This is what it started out as!....$100 bucks at a garage sale close by.....but it ran! :shock:

there's nothing you can't do with a sawzall and a welder!! haha :roll:

vc2.jpg

re.jpg

some shots with my son testing it out....

vb5.jpg

vb6.jpg

Driven will apreciate this random pet dog picture! lol :lol:

Boo2.JPG

....and a wheel barrel Hotrod in the works....saw one at a car show so i started fabbing something together, I think I will use an old rotortiller motor I have kicking around to run it?

as7.jpg

....and i'll end with a random Halloween picture of me! hahaha :wtf: ....I hope you enjoyed!

5A932F80eee.jpg

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
What an inspiring thread. I'd like to see more youngsters get involved with taking things apart and reconstructing.
You seem to have good kids, and that share your interest in cars.
I think the Rambler American is a good little car to cut their teeth on. That's a cool body style. Too bad it's a 4-door but what the hey. I almost bought the (2-dr) wagon version of that car years ago.
Good luck getting the engine freed up. As suggested. I would pour some Marvel Mystery Oil down the spark plug holes, or diesel fuel. If you're able to get a breaker bar on the crank bolt, I would try that every few days until there's movement.
I'll be following your progress.. :)
Thanks for sharing this story with us.

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
Awesome bike chops on the cheap! That's making me want to try something like that 8) .

Bowiemontecarlo86

G-Body Guru
Dec 17, 2011
Tampa fl.
Looks like some fun times with the kids bro . Cant believe u got the car free what a deal .Cant wait to see the progress ill be check-en in on this build thread for sure .

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor