Not open for further replies.

Lorenzo

Master Mechanic
Mar 28, 2012
Milton Ontario
Re: Anyone ever have a Ford Ranger?

Blake442 said:
pencero said:
...The 4.0 v6 isn't even a bad engine on gas, I mean the 4.6 gets 22mpg w 2 extra cylinders so you add a couple mpg for the missing 2 and thats what you have... The ony reason ford cancelled them is they over powered their supply curve and killed the demand!
Good thing you made sure you knew your facts before you posted... :roll:

Rangers were built here in St. Paul. Production stopped in Dec '11.
It was scheduled to stop 3 years ago, but they had been selling so well they postponed the closing.
Ford pulled the plug because the Rangers 30 year old chassis wasn't up to par with the upcoming federal mileage and safety regulations.
The St. Paul assembly plant was also the oldest Ford plant still in operation, built around 1925.
Updating the truck and the plant just wasn't cost effective to the bean counters...

The 4-cylinder is the only way to go. The 4.0 is a sh*t motor, and they get such lousy gas mileage (15 mpg), that you might as well just get a V8 1/2 ton that can actually pull a trailer...

Well trust me i really want the 4cyl because of the amazing gas mileage (7.7l/100km Highway 10l/100km city) But i cant find none of them anywhere!!! Looks like everyone is keeping them :evil: This is the one im looking at http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicle ... Z409567099. I have only driven standard about 4 times and i told the dealer and he said he would be willing to teach me to drive a stick! So im intrigued to go see this truck now. But im still on the hunt for a 4cyl :)

Lorenzo

Master Mechanic
Mar 28, 2012
Milton Ontario
Ok Screw the Ranger, Sonoma or S10!??

Ok so i decided not to get a ranger and parents have finally agreed to let me just get an older truck, which i wanted from the start. Im looking at either the GMC Sonoma or the Chevy s10. Im looking to get a 5 speed and not sure if i want the 4cyl or v6 with the 4x4. Has anyone ever had these trucks??

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa

If you want a 4x4 don't get the 4 cyl, I had a Sonoma it was gutless. The 4.3 is a proven engine and has decent power for 4 wheel drive.

Lorenzo

Master Mechanic
Mar 28, 2012
Milton Ontario

81Regal said:
If you want a 4x4 don't get the 4 cyl, I had a Sonoma it was gutless. The 4.3 is a proven engine and has decent power for 4 wheel drive.[/quote

Yea i was thinking that, how good/bad is the 4.3 on gas? Also for body wise, where are spots to look at for rotting away or bad rust?

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*

Don't expect more than 20mpg. You might get better occasionally but it probably won't be typical. I would get the 4cyl if you get a 2wd, V6 if you go 4X4. Our stuff doesn't get rusty in my part of the country so I can't advise in that area. Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of the S-trucks (and that's coming from a "GM guy"). I think the Rangers are generally a better built vehicle and seem to age better. What they have going for them is that the are cheap to buy and fix and there is lots of aftermarket accessories available.

outsider_27

G-Body Guru
Mar 23, 2009
Aberdeen, SD

Anything newer than 1989 on the GM S series trucks has the 4.3 V6 as the base engine for the 4x4. I have had 3 4.3L engines and all were great runners that get acceptable fuel mileage.

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI

I've never seen an engine run perfectly fine and then just give up the ghost like I have seen with multiple 4.3's. Kinda odd occurrences.

Dr. Rudy

Greasemonkey
Mar 19, 2011
Pennsylvania

my 4.3 auto 92 longbed s10 would get me about 22mpg highway at around 70-75mph. that was with 3.42 gears though. that was a fun truck and took my whippings well so long as i kept up on it.

Lorenzo

Master Mechanic
Mar 28, 2012
Milton Ontario

Well im trying to find one with an extended cab, but cant seem to find any! Hope some pop up soon, these trucks really look good and fun to drive, especially with the 5 speed 8)

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI

My company vehicle is a 2003 S10 4cyl auto extended cab with 3rd door and the ZQ8 package and I don't get any more than 15-16mpg with that thing. It just recently hit over 100,000 miles. It has absolutely no acceleration :!: My wife had a 2001 S10 2wd 4cyl regular cab truck when I first met her and it got horrible mileage as well.
My 1998 Ranger 4cyl 5speed 2wd truck I had was totaled out 3 times and rebuilt and I still got 26-28mpg around town with 230,000 miles on the clock. I paid $400 for it and put less than $200 into repairing the front end that had been hit. I sold that truck for $1800 with a salvage title 8) Great truck :!: I would get another in a heartbeat. I would never buy an S10 with my own money :|

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor