Rare 78 Cutlass 260 5 speed in WA for sale

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think there was. IIRC the trans was a T 50. Someone else will remeber better than me.

jatguit said:
http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/pts/1715453614.html

No such thing as an original 5 speed 78 cutlass.

May have been a 3 or 4 speed converted to a 5 speed.
Shifter doesn't look original.

Yes. There was. In '79 also. That's exactly it.

The shifter sits there because its a BW trans with a rail-type shifter going straight into the top of the trans, toward the back. The bellhousing/clutch/pedals are the same as the 3/4 speed setup. Definitely a rare car with the Calais gauges. If it were closer I'd be on it like flies on, well...

Wow,
Learn somthing new every day.
Open mouth and insert foot.

Then it must only be on the Oldsmobiles then?

:shock: ... X2 on being all over it. only if i had the money lol...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe on this 5 speed the reverse is in the spot where first is on a 4 speed. I'm pretty sure
that this transmission was first used on the 76 H Bodies (Vega, Sunbird, Skyhawks, Monza). If my memory is right, they did offer the 5 speed with the 305 in the Monza briefly one year and dropped the option due to the fact the 5 speed did not handle the torque very well.

malibu80 said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe on this 5 speed the reverse is in the spot where first is on a 4 speed. I'm pretty sure
that this transmission was first used on the 76 H Bodies (Vega, Sunbird, Skyhawks, Monza). If my memory is right, they did offer the 5 speed with the 305 in the Monza briefly one year and dropped the option due to the fact the 5 speed did not handle the torque very well.

One and the same. IIRC it was *only* behind the 260 in the cutlass because anything else would thrash it in no time. Here's what it looks like:

normal_Olds_Trans.jpg

The H-body shifter is different in that its got a big curve in it, vs. the straight up handle for the cutlass. This one was taken from a '79 cutlass, and put into a certain '81 pontiac for a while (before I had it), until the 403 completely wiped out 1st gear. The rest of the stick-shift parts are still in the GP403. I drove that cutlass with a TH350 transplant for a long time until the frame cracked (already had rear horns replaced) among many other things...

EDIT: And the 5-speed setup used a totally unique crossmember. I've still got it laying around somewhere. The mount is in a slightly different location.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor