Rattling Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattyRobz

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 27, 2007
i have an '85 cutlass with power windows. when i drive down the road and hit a bump the windows rattle inside the door when the windows are down. and when i roll the windows down it doesn't roll down smoothly. it like moves back and forth. how can i fix this or what do i need to make this stop.
thanks for the help

83cut350chev

Greasemonkey
Jan 2, 2007
Churchville, PA
how is the weather stripping around the window? if its dry and cracked it will rattle

srercrcr

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2006
San Antonio, Texas
There are felt covered brackets inside the door that the glass rides against keeping it stable. That felt wears away after 20 years. I glued commercial carpet to mine...good as new. The weatherstrips up top also help out.

MattyRobz

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 27, 2007
the weatherstriping is pretty bad. i wasnt sure if was somthing eles. where could i get new window weaterstrips?

thanks

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il
you can get it form opgi but thats alot of $$ try ebay or maybe dixiemontecarlo.com

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Steele rubber products, Metro molded rubber and A&M Soffseal all offer G body weatherstripping. It should be less than $100 for a set of roof rail weatherstrips if you have a non-T-Top car. I ordered mine through Year One's Next Generation catalog. I haven't installed it yet because of an impending paint job, so I can't speak of the quality, but it is a name brand.

srercrcr

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2006
San Antonio, Texas
Ah, we're talking about rattling with the windows DOWN, hence the upper weatherstrips don't enter the equation. SWEEPS or FUZZIES are the ones at the top of the door.

MattyRobz

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 27, 2007
ya thats the weatherstriping im talking about right at the top of the door it self. but when the windows are down they rattle. also when im rolling them down they shake and rattle.

Uncletruck

Master Mechanic
Apr 22, 2007
Erie, PA
Two things. There is a plastic tab that keeps the window aligned that wears out. The glass itself is held in the bottom of the lifting frame with an adhesive that gets brittle and crumbles over time, causing the glass to get a lot of play in the track. The only right way to fix this is to remove the glass, scrape out the old adhesive, and then apply new adhesive and put the window glass back in. I'm trying to think what I use for this, and it's slipping my mind, but it's available at hardware stores- it's industrial grade and holds up to extreme changes in temperature.

-Mark-

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor