Regal quarter window alternatives, lexan/plexi?

Roblq84

Apprentice
Oct 29, 2023
on my 84 regal, it was a vinyl top car which is being converted to hardtop, non-vinyl quarter windows are extremely hard to come by, has any one made them out of lexan/plexi? If so any photos of your install? I’m not worried about scratches/yellowing since it’s garage kept and will be tinted. I’m thinking of using the seal around the body, cutting the material to fit the quarter, and riveting it in to the body, thoughts?

gearhedjon

Apprentice
Dec 5, 2012
oak forest IL
I see hardtop window for sale quite often. They are not hard to find but they are more $$ than lexan.
What makes the quarter windows different, is the rubber gasket used on the non vinyl top windows.
Have you tried to find the gasket or broken quarter glass windows you can take the gasket from?

Roblq84

Apprentice
Oct 29, 2023
I see hardtop window for sale quite often. They are not hard to find but they are more $$ than lexan.
if any one wants to trade some regal vinyl quarters plus some cash lmk 🤣 I was thinking just some hardware store plexi and cut to fit

brrian

Master Mechanic
Jul 7, 2022
Pittsburgh, PA
if any one wants to trade some regal vinyl quarters plus some cash lmk 🤣 I was thinking just some hardware store plexi and cut to fit
I can cut plexiglass (acrylic) on my CNC router. I might even have some. If you decide to try this & wanted it accurately cut to match the stock glass profile, I could probably do it. I'd need a piece of glass to match though.

Reactions: 1 users

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
See what is behind it that you can screw the lexan to. No issue with putting it in. Quarter windows on my car were lexan and nobody knew it.
DSC01619.jpg

Reactions: 5 users

Roblq84

Apprentice
Oct 29, 2023
See what is behind it that you can screw the lexan to. No issue with putting it in. Quarter windows on my car were lexan and nobody knew it. View attachment 234319
Should be good with the original lip (after the body work and rust repair of course)
Bad a$$ car you have there btw!

Attachments

• IMG_2132.jpeg
    IMG_2132.jpeg
    69.5 KB · Views: 23
Reactions: 1 user

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
The dimensions of the glass, and the metal frame, are the same for vinyl vs hardtop as the pieces are the same.

Your only difference is that the width dimension of the rubber as far as how far away from the glass it extends is very VERY slightly different. As in, IIRC, 1/16" or so different. Not much at all.

In fact, for cars that had the dealer-installed vinyl top the dealer would just use the original hardtop glass without switching the rubber seals over.

The goal/purpose between the two was for the vinyl top glass to sit more flush on the landau cars for a more finished appearance and to reduce water intrusion chances on the raised tip of rubber, wind noise, etc etc.

Any lexan you tried to use would have the same issue as the vinyl top gaskets - a small bit of hairline space between the edge of the lexan and the flush outer surface of the quarter.

If you try to insert the existing window back onto the fabric-less top you should see how big the gap is.

There ARE guys who use a solid seam of butyl tape and just run the quarter glass. If it's to be a mainly garage kept car that would cut down on the risk of leaking concerns over time as well.

The correct way would be to get the larger rubber seals, but, anything you'd do for sealing up the lexan you can probably do with what you've already got.

Roblq84

Apprentice
Oct 29, 2023
The dimensions of the glass, and the metal frame, are the same for vinyl vs hardtop as the pieces are the same.

Your only difference is that the width dimension of the rubber as far as how far away from the glass it extends is very VERY slightly different. As in, IIRC, 1/16" or so different. Not much at all.

In fact, for cars that had the dealer-installed vinyl top the dealer would just use the original hardtop glass without switching the rubber seals over.

The goal/purpose between the two was for the vinyl top glass to sit more flush on the landau cars for a more finished appearance and to reduce water intrusion chances on the raised tip of rubber, wind noise, etc etc.

Any lexan you tried to use would have the same issue as the vinyl top gaskets - a small bit of hairline space between the edge of the lexan and the flush outer surface of the quarter.

If you try to insert the existing window back onto the fabric-less top you should see how big the gap is.

There ARE guys who use a solid seam of butyl tape and just run the quarter glass. If it's to be a mainly garage kept car that would cut down on the risk of leaking concerns over time as well.

The correct way would be to get the larger rubber seals, but, anything you'd do for sealing up the lexan you can probably do with what you've already got.
That’s exactly what I was thinking, with just the butyl and using the lexan as like an insert almost, I can even space it out a bit so it’s not so recessed

Attachments

• IMG_2133.jpeg
    IMG_2133.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 30

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
Should be good with the original lip (after the body work and rust repair of course)
Bad a$$ car you have there btw!
Had actually. I got out of racing in 2018. That car ran 8.80's at 3200 lbs with me in it.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor