Re-bushing suspension and rebuilding brakes on project 1st

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geo's66

Master Mechanic
Oct 7, 2014
Guys, I'm doing a frame-off an my 78 monte 4-speed. I'm thinking for me and to save some money I'm simply going to replace all bushings in suspension with polygraphic and rebuild brakes to stock, add lowering springs for now. I'm putting in a new 450 hp motor, wide ratio 4 speed and source a 8.5 GN rear end. If I decide to keep car after some time, I can double back and go tubular, bigger brakes, etc... Thoughts/experiences on just starting with bushing upgrades all around and brakes rebuild vs. investing big money on these parts? Spirited street driving will be the goal 99% of the time.. Thanks.

jeremyandthemonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 20, 2014
i am doing the same thing just replacing the bushing in everything with energy suspension kit i also bought the bmr sway bar kit but for brakes i have gone with 2 inch blazer drop spindles and brakes and ebachi pro kit springs. i would suggest boxing in the frame rail which will help a lot and the stock 7.5 can take a lot just not on sticky tires i would suggest getting a bolt in 9 inch which cost a little more then the 8.5 but stronger. 8.5 are coming very hard to find for good money

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Many will disagree with me here, unless this is going to be a mainly track car you are better off using OEM rubber bushings in your suspension. The 1LE rubber bushings are firmer than stock. Poly suspension bushings stick and bind, especially in 4 link rear suspensions which require bushing deflection and control arm twisting to prevent binding which can cause snap oversteer. The other route is to use poly roto joints which have less binding than plain poly bushings but cost more. With that much power you better weld in some control arm mount gussets, the stock RCA mounts are weak.

Last edited:

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
The 1LE bushings you can order from a GM dealer or from a GM parts vendor. #10164152 is the number for 1LE bushings for the rear lower control arms. G bodies and F bodies use the same rear lower control arms as well as the front LCA bushings. Moog bushings are usually just as firm as the 1LE rubber bushings, it seems you just can't buy the old mushy stock style bushings now.

For replacement control arms with roto joints you can get them here: http://scandc.com/new/

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

autonaut

Greasemonkey
Feb 22, 2014
Many will disagree with me here, unless this is going to be a mainly track car you are better off using OEM rubber bushings in your suspension. The 1LE rubber bushings are firmer than stock. Poly suspension bushings stick and bind, especially in 4 link rear suspensions which require bushing deflection and control arm twisting to prevent binding which can cause snap oversteer. The other route is to use poly roto joints which have less binding than plain poly bushings but cost more. With thet much power you better weld in some control arm mount gussets, the stock RCA mounts are weak.

My vote would be rubber bushings as well. Thats what i have done also. No need to reinvent the wheel here:) I only used poly bushings for the body bushings.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Geo's66

Master Mechanic
Oct 7, 2014
Yeah, good thread and read many different posts over the net... I'm definitely just replacing everything to stock bushings... If you guys can help, does anyone sell the whole kit for front, back end and body bushings or do I need to call a local dealer and order these separately? Thanks guys very much

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
My vote would be rubber bushings as well. Thats what i have done also. No need to reinvent the wheel here:) I only used poly bushings for the body bushings.

Poly is great for the body mount bushings, that is what I used too. But for rotational joints rubber is usually better.

autonaut

Greasemonkey
Feb 22, 2014
It's not reinventing the wheel, it's what ride and performance you want.
I agree. Just a word of mouth.

Unless you're going all out autocrossing there is no need for poly bushings really. Thats what im trying to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor