re-coloring plastic interior

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Everyone is giving you the right info. SEM Color Coat. Prep is very important. Adhesion promoter is also VERY important. If you look at the thread for my wagon build you'll see how my interior looks after the color change.
If you want to have a perfect match to the original interior color SEM offers a free color matching service. The womans name is Ann Zolle. Shes done a few color matches for me and shes amazing. That being said, you can have any color made if you intend on spraying it with a spray gun. Aerosols cans have a lot less of a selection but you might find something you can live with on their color chart. Spraying it with a gun is really easy since all you do is mix it up in the can and put it in the gun. Theres no thinners or reducers involved at all. It also dries very quickly. 95% of what Ive done was sprayed with a low priced spray gun.

shoedoos

Master Mechanic
Jul 3, 2012
"....prep is the key....." Anybody care to explain this comment further in detail?

Reactions: 1 user

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
"....prep is the key....." Anybody care to explain this comment further in detail?
Clean, clean, clean, and when you think it's clean enough, clean it again. There are oils that transfer in and out of plastics that will cause the paint to lift.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY

Im not a professional doing this but with all the pieces I done I havent had anything fail. Not once.
That being said, I take all the parts that Im spraying and wash it all down with Dawn dish soap and hot water first. Then I go over everything again with SEM Soap. Some folks might think its not needed but as I said, I havent had one issue since I started doing this.
After I use the SEM Soap with a gray scotchbrite pad and a small scrub brush I wash everything down with clean water.
I blow dry it all with air.
Then I take SEM Plastic Prep (an aerosol can) and spray it all over. I use a new micro fiber cloth and wipe the stuff down trying to go in one direction if possible.
Hit it with the air again.
Then I spray on two light coats of Bulldog Adhesion Promoter. While the second coats tacky I start spraying on the Color Coat.

I overkill the prep. I look at it this way. Taking this stuff off without breaking or cracking some of the pieces is pretty tough since its all old brittle crap. I only want to do it once. The more you mess with it the better chance you have of busting a piece.
I have two cheap detail guns. One for adhesion promoter, one for color. I found it easier when youre doing multiple pieces. You dont have to keep emptying the cup and cleaning it between the different chemicals. The spray guns atomize the color coat much finer and in my opinion it makes a nicer finish. Plus the fact you can have any color matched and mixed.
Believe me, it sounds like a pain in the *ss but its really easy. The stuff goes on with no issues. I dont think you can get a run unless youre really careless.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Daca214

G-Body Guru
Dec 1, 2017
Jupiter, FL
the most important thing is use the correct adhesion promoter SEM makes two kinds. regular and "sand Free" for different types of plastic. check their site for instructions on how to test the plastic to see which one to use.

its not one type does all. i learned that the hard way. follow instructions to the "T" and used all their prep products, but didnt test plastic and used the wrong adhesion promoter. paint will chip right off.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
the most important thing is use the correct adhesion promoter SEM makes two kinds. regular and "sand Free" for different types of plastic. check their site for instructions on how to test the plastic to see which one to use.

its not one type does all. i learned that the hard way. follow instructions to the "T" and used all their prep products, but didnt test plastic and used the wrong adhesion promoter. paint will chip right off.

I havent used SEM Adhesion Promoter yet. Which one works the best with what plastics ?
Ive used Bulldog because the supplier I buy from has is on the shelf.

buzz77

Master Mechanic
Jun 11, 2013
I got this from Eastwood, I had great results
I have camel tan interior. Had a view black plastic trim pieces.Got the SEM camel tan and Rustoleum adhesion promoter. The Advanced Auto parts Carrie's the adhesion promoter for $7.49. Came out amazing.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I have used both Bulldog and Duplicolor adhesive promoter and both have worked well, I have never used the SEM adhesive promoter and have yet to feel it is needed.

Daca214

G-Body Guru
Dec 1, 2017
Jupiter, FL
I havent used SEM Adhesion Promoter yet. Which one works the best with what plastics ?
Ive used Bulldog because the supplier I buy from has is on the shelf.
used the sand free and it was the wrong one My rear hard plastic panels will chip right off. Next time i will try bulldog. I have read good things on here about it

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
used the sand free and it was the wrong one My rear hard plastic panels will chip right off. Next time i will try bulldog. I have read good things on here about it

Just make sure youre wearing a respirator when you spray it. Its nasty stuff to inhale. Real bad.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor