Re doing interior panels

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowmangaggift

Greasemonkey
Jun 18, 2011
Vancouver, BC Canada
Just a quick project I did today, I've never done anything like this before, but I'm very happy with the result, what do you guys think?
Before:
IMG_1241.jpg

After:
IMG_1246.jpg

Door panel before:
IMG_1242.jpg

IMG_1243.jpg

After:
IMG_1244.jpg

IMG_1245.jpg

Did you just paint over the crusty plastic? Looks good I have to paint a couple pieces with the same issue pretty soon

79loserbluebu said:
Did you just paint over the crusty plastic? Looks good I have to paint a couple pieces with the same issue pretty soon
No, I sanded the panels until they were smooth and all that crusty old plastic was gone, used 2 coats of plastic paint primer then hit it with 3 coats of nutmeg interior paint. stuck real well.

Looks awesome! Love your seats as well. I'm on the lookout for atleast one seat cover like yours.

We need a tutorial

I would say the door panels definitely look better but it looks like they might need a couple more coats in an attempt to cover the sanding marks and I would put on some low luster clear on after that to protect it from scratches, that's the problem when interior panels that are severely sun beaten you half to strip off a layer and it is hard to get the panel smooth on top of the fact use loose the original textured finish.
By the way you can also redo your armrest, I redid my gray interior with SEM Camel and everything has been repainted but I was also lucky that mine had little to no flaking.

I'm in the process of doing my complete interior, first I washed it good with dish soap then a good wipe down with laquer thinner after that I spayed it with two coats of adhesion promoter then three coats of medium beige interior paint.I'm happy with the results.

Attachments

• 20130330_162738.jpg
    20130330_162738.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1,028
  • 20130330_170514.jpg
    20130330_170514.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,037
565bbchevy said:
I would say the door panels definitely look better but it looks like they might need a couple more coats in an attempt to cover the sanding marks and I would put on some low luster clear on after that to protect it from scratches, that's the problem when interior panels that are severely sun beaten you half to strip off a layer and it is hard to get the panel smooth on top of the fact use loose the original textured finish.
By the way you can also redo your armrest, I redid my gray interior with SEM Camel and everything has been repainted but I was also lucky that mine had little to no flaking.
ok ill throw a coat or 2 of clear, and did you use a special paint for the arm rest? or a primer?

snowmangaggift said:
565bbchevy said:
ok ill throw a coat or 2 of clear, and did you use a special paint for the arm rest? or a primer?

The armrest would follow the same proceedure as the panels.
Typically a thorough cleaning then you would use an adhesive promoter followed by a few coats of Color Coat
I always use SEM products for all interior painting and I like to use their Low Luster Clear to help protect the color coat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor