Really "Adulting 101" is real class????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
I promise, not all kids here in Louisville are that dumb! Maybe 80% lol!!!! The school mentioned is a high school here, and I believe only one of a few with auto programs. A guy I grew up with went there, and now he is one helluva painter, airbrush artist, and pinstriper. Google: Culver Customs. I was going to have him do the paintjob on the Cutlass, but he is too pricey for me!

Back on track, my wife knows how to do all the normal maintenance sh*t!

Reactions: 1 user

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Well what do you expect when people constantly vote down funding for programs like wood shop and auto shop for their own damn kids. Don't blame the kids for being dumbed down when their parents made it that way :rolleyes:

Reactions: 4 users
Nov 4, 2012
Well what do you expect when people constantly vote down funding for programs like wood shop and auto shop for their own damn kids. Don't blame the kids for being dumbed down when their parents made it that way :rolleyes:

Well shop classes aren't on standardized tests, so the schools don't give a **** about them. These kids can do calculus in their heads but can't wipe their own asses. They've raised a bunch of Rain Mans.

I think I was seriously lucky that my high school still had a very big metal and wood shop program at a time when almost every other school had eliminated shop. I took every metal shop class (there were 5- metal 1, 2 and 3, materials engineering and welding) and I even retook metal 1&2. I learned to MIG, TIG and stick weld, use lathes and mills and they had a full scale aluminum foundry and a gas forge.

I think it was an unwritten rule that "changing a tire" was a prerequisite.

Reactions: 1 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
My highschool got rid of auto shop summer between my sophomore and junior year. Shame. Mr. Lendt was awesome. He was basically hank hill. I built a nice (for a freshman) oak plywood cabinet I still have in wood shop. Got rid of that class too. They got a guy who barely spoke english named Majid Bahed (or whatever), i started calling him Magic Butthead, the entire rest of the student body followed. When I had my '70 thunderbird, my bunghole brother would sneak it into the auto shop. He told one of the kids it was his. I heard my car from across the school, left class (health class, didn't care, same sh*t since we were 7) and wandered in. Magic Butthead wondered what I was doing, I told him "that's my car." He let me be. I was broke at the time, so I took my spark plugs out to clean them on the wire wheel (yes, I know. but it ran a bit smoother afterwards so... :D). He was asking me all kinds of questions since being from the middle east, he's only ever seen diesel engines. all the kids were gathering around me asking whats this and whats that. I was teaching the damn class. Also, one of the times my brother stole my car into the shop, the foreign kid named Oliver (Denmark) was sleeping in the back. He woke up as my brother floored it out of the shop and did a burnout and thought the car was on fire because of all the smoke.

So, basically, in many schools they got rid of shop classes of all kinds years ago. But god forbid their (my school) shitty football team needs a brand new field and uniforms.

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
Not to mention that kids now have to sell candy bars and other crap constantly, just to do any extracurricular activities. It's hard to learn vocational stuff when you are too busy selling crap to everyone else so you can have a sports team that year.

Reactions: 1 users
Nov 4, 2012
Not to mention that kids now have to sell candy bars and other crap constantly, just to do any extracurricular activities. It's hard to learn vocational stuff when you are too busy selling crap to everyone else so you can have a sports team that year.

I don't know where you live, but it's nothing like that here. The schools' number one priority next to standardized testing (maybe even above standardized tests) is sports. Probably 1/3 or more of their budget goes to athletics. Those lazy sh*t kids don't have to lift a finger. When I was still in school the baseball team would travel from Pittsburgh to Myrtle Beach for a week for school funded "spring training". A high school baseball team. I've been out of school for a while so I'm not sure if they still do it (I'd be shocked if they didn't). School tax dollars at work. Rediculous.

Last edited:

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
I don't know where you live, but it's nothing like that here. The schools' number one priority next to standardized testing (maybe even above standardized tests) is sports. Probably 1/3 or more of their budget goes to athletics. Those lazy sh*t kids don't have to lift a finger. When I was still in school the baseball team would travel from Pittsburgh to Myrtle Beach for a week for school funded "spring training". A high school baseball team. School tax dollars at work. Rediculous.
Don't get me wrong, it would be full on Varsity Blues here but all the money in the state goes to making sure that anyone that has ever worked for the state or been a teacher gets more money from the pension system in retirement than they ever made while actually doing the job. The schools still want the sports, so they make the kids sell all the crap to afford stuff like uniforms and to pay for travel to the away games. It boggles the mind.

Nov 4, 2012
Don't get me wrong, it would be full on Varsity Blues here but all the money in the state goes to making sure that anyone that has ever worked for the state or been a teacher gets more money from the pension system in retirement than they ever made while actually doing the job. The schools still want the sports, so they make the kids sell all the crap to afford stuff like uniforms and to pay for travel to the away games. It boggles the mind.

I get ya. Don't even get me started on the pensions. There doesn't seem to be any shortage of money for the schools here, at least not yet. Then again they have no issues jacking up the school tax every year either.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I don't know where you live, but it's nothing like that here. The schools' number one priority next to standardized testing (maybe even above standardized tests) is sports. Probably 1/3 or more of their budget goes to athletics. Those lazy sh*t kids don't have to lift a finger. When I was still in school the baseball team would travel from Pittsburgh to Myrtle Beach for a week for school funded "spring training". A high school baseball team. I've been out of school for a while so I'm not sure if they still do it (I'd be shocked if they didn't). School tax dollars at work. Rediculous.
Because "it's cheaper to live in PA"!! :rofl:

• Haha
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor