Really "Adulting 101" is real class????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
MA
I don't think we should condemn kids for not knowing some of these skills. Most of their parents are equally clueless about vehicle maintenance, how are they supposed to pass down any real useful advice?

Is it sad? perhaps but it's hardly surprising.

Youtube is a hell of a tool. If a person feels like learning how to do an oil change or how to change a spare (or cooking, cleaning things nicely, etc), it's never been easier. In that regard the class is a bit silly. If the kids wanted to learn these things, they easily could.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Most of us old guys knew that stuff by the time we hit puberty and back then we had no smart phones or computers to look stuff up on google.

• Agree
  • Winner

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I agree; YouTube and Google have advanced the shadetree mechanic by lightyears. Got a 'P' code? Google it for your year/make/model and you'll be greeted with hundreds of answers- not all correct, but a semi-intelligent person can weed through the BS. Then, you have clowns like my neighbor's kid: he YouTube Mechaniced his way through a timing chain tensioner on an Audi A4. That even scared me, but he got most of the way through it. Then, he ignored the ONE piece of advice I gave him "turn it over by hand first. DO NOT try to start it without verifying everything is lined up correctly". Well, he hit the starter, crashed all the valves into the pistons, and trashed the engine. tsk, tsk, tsk

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
People have been idiots since the dawn of time.

Just now with FB twitter and phones everyone has a voice. Before the only people that really had a voice was the media, and the people who ran the media had money and there is most of the time some mild correlation between owning a business and having money and mild intelligence. News paper owners didn't want to give dumb people a voice so they didn't.

Now we can just see all the dumb things and thats why we have adulting 101. We have always needed adulting 101 it but didn't find the need since we didn't see stupid.

Reactions: 2 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
People have been idiots since the dawn of time.

Just now with FB twitter and phones everyone has a voice. Before the only people that really had a voice was the media, and the people who ran the media had money and there is most of the time some mild correlation between owning a business and having money and mild intelligence. News paper owners didn't want to give dumb people a voice so they didn't.

Now we can just see all the dumb things and thats why we have adulting 101. We have always needed adulting 101 it but didn't find the need since we didn't see stupid.

Even well educated people are stupid. A fancy education cannot substitute for good judgement. I just spent a week with my in-laws who are literally doctors/PhDs and Masters-level educated people - and some of the nonsense they allow themselves to believe is astonishing. My tongue still hurts from biting it for so hard for such a long time. Me? I am just the dumb grunt with the undergrad Arts degree.

Unlike my in-laws I attended the school of hard knocks. Some of it by design, much of it not. Some of this journey has been horrific. I choose the hard path. I set my children on the hard path. Nothing makes me feel more alive than when I struggle. Fail. Adjust. Struggle. Fail. Adjust. Struggle. And perhaps succeed. Failure is one hell of a teacher. Additionally, the only person who sets limitations for you, is you. If people are setting artificial barriers on your journey, go around or push through them. I am a firm believer that anyone can do anything if they work at it - you may not be the best but you can achieve your goals. Sometimes just finishing is enough. That being said, not everyone should be allowed to be in a position of responsibility - education or appointment does not equate to qualification or competence. Educate yourself and question everything that makes your Spidey-Sense tingle.

My six year-old has more mental and emotional maturity than many adults.

• Winner
Reactions: 5 users

Daca214

G-Body Guru
Dec 1, 2017
Jupiter, FL
theres a much bigger problem with the schools now then just teaching how to change a tire. Basic real world skills are completely ignored.

my Daughter graduated last year from HS with an AICE diploma and was accepted to the national Society of High School scholars (not that she applied or that it does anything for her, but they sent the certificate so)
and I still was the one to teach her and my son the basics of balancing checkbooks, compounding interest rates, IRA (not the irish one), and other things that would actually benefit them once they enter the real world.

the other problem is most parents are too lazy to teach their own kids things and wait for the gubment to do it all for them.

with common core, 2+2=5 if you really really believe it......Glad our new Gov down here abolished that travesty.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
with common core, 2+2=5 if you really really believe it......Glad our new Gov down here abolished that travesty.
It's still alive and well here in MD. Common Core had me wanting to eat a bullet. My daughter is finally starting memorization tables (the way it used to be done) in 4th grade. Spelling and penmanship have gone the way of the do-do bird.

Reactions: 1 user

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
It's still alive and well here in MD. Common Core had me wanting to eat a bullet. My daughter is finally starting memorization tables (the way it used to be done) in 4th grade. Spelling and penmanship have gone the way of the do-do bird.

Imagination math is a thing... keep guessing until you get it right... or close enough. F that noise.

Our 6 year old knows her multiplication tables, tenants of BEDMAS, integers, and we are introducing basic algebra. She is reading/writing (and learning cursive penmanship) at (at least) a grade two level in two languages (and is going to start ASL/LSQ (sign language soon), is painting still life with a great degree of accuracy, and is starting piano. Does soccer or baseball in the Summer, skating (and starts hockey) in the Fall/Winter, and swimming and BJJ year-round. Her little sister does the same sports (less skating until this Fall) and starts school in Sept - deaf or not we will engage her the same. No false limitations. Some of this is by nature and some by nurture. And... they still watch a good share of "TV" to avoid being unable to relate to their peers (much to the chagrin of my in-laws. My wife only developed a dirty sense of humour, did risky stuff, and got pop culture references after meeting me - again to the distain of my in-laws). Plus, manners. On our recent trip strangers were complimenting our kids on their good behaviour and manners (Our motto: we aren't raising *ssh*les).

We lean on their educators to challenge our children and ensure that we are active participants in their educations. Hell, we make an effort to enrich the education of their classmates/school by doing speaking engagements (ie. Remembrance Day) and having our girls donate their birthday presents in the form of books to their school library. We know that some of the other parents take exception to our tactics and actions (and our oldest's performance/potential and general favouritism by the staff)... but, if we don't do something extra who will? The system is strapped and we chose to have these kids who are our responsibility.

It takes a village to raise a child, it just shouldn't be a village of idiots.

• Winner
Reactions: 4 users

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
common sense isn't as common as it used to be is all.

Common Sense is becoming more like a ****ing super power anymore.

-Gonz

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor