Rear 1/4 glass

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbartell

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 30, 2007
Eugene, Oregon
I have a new to me set of rear 1/4 windows from a non vinyl top car to replace the vinyl top windows I currently have. The problem is, they did not come with the chrome trim that actually allows you to bolt them in. Before I pop out my current windows does anyone know if the trim piece comes off of the vinyl top glass, so I can just swap it over?

Jg85350Regal

Greasemonkey
Mar 10, 2010
Windsor Locks, CT
Isn't the trim whats different between the vinyl and non vinyl glass? seems to me the actual glass itself would be the same. I just bought some glass out of a non vinyl car myself and it should be here this week. My understanding was the trim on the non vinyl cars was a bit bigger to hide the lousy bodywork around the window that gets exposed without the vinyl top. Ive run my vinyl glass without the vinyl in place for years and it fits fine no leaks or anything its just some small gaps (1/8" or so) are visible around the trim.

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
The glass and trim is the same, the seal is what is different.

mkiiisupra

Master Mechanic
Dec 28, 2008
Versailles, KY
The trim isnt the issue, its the actual rubber lip around the windows. On the non-vinyl top 1/4 glasses, the rubber lip sticks out a little further to cover the gaps in the body between the window and quarter panel. On the vinyl top q/4 glass, this rubber lip is very small//non-existent and allows the vinyl to tuck inside between the quarter panel and q/4 glass, therefore sealing it off and providing a mechanism to hold the vinyl top in on the 1/4 glass part of the quarter panel. You could trim that lip off to allow for this if you wish as it is only rubber. There is no detachable chrome trim piece on the quarter glass itself that I recall.

Jg85350Regal

Greasemonkey
Mar 10, 2010
Windsor Locks, CT
Makes sense, I was assuming the rubber gasket was part of the trim. Honestly I didnt know you could remove the trim without breaking it but its been a while since ive had mine out. Guess ill get a closre look thins week when my non vinyl glass gets here.

mkiiisupra

Master Mechanic
Dec 28, 2008
Versailles, KY
Again, they do not attach, the glass and such is one piece, must buy or find another complete quarter glass.

Jg85350Regal

Greasemonkey
Mar 10, 2010
Windsor Locks, CT
My new glass showed up today and looking at I don't see a way to remove the trim from the glass non destructively... Also the person that pulled it was careless and must of set the pieces down glue side down in the grass/dirt when they were pulled :? I was hoping to just stick them in the car but now I have to clean off the old glue and probably find some new glue. Anybody know what takes it off effectively ? I know its some nasty stuff. And what its called/where I can buy a tube of the stuff? I do have a good tip if you're taking the windows out of your car, a glass guy actually taught me this. Just mix up some dish soap/water in a spray bottle and spray the car down with it around and under the glass and it keeps the glue from sticking to your paint and making a nasty mess.

mike.ss

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 16, 2013
im looking to do the swap from vinyl to smooth top and was wondering if anyone has done this and got away with using their vinyl top 1/4 glass and if they did it can i see some pics
i would also like to see some pics of what was found under that vinyl

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor