Rear axle options

Status
Not open for further replies.

86Cutlass350

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 28, 2006
Springfield, MO
Hey all,

I was just curious as to what my options are in terms of upgrading my rear axle. I currently have a 7.5 inch 2.14 open differential axle, and even with the mild 350 listed in my signature, I'm needing a posi pretty badly. A locker for this bad boy is like $250, and I'd imagine it would be better to upgrade to a 8.5 inch with better gears and either a stock posi or an aftermarket locker.

I'd imagine an axle from a Monte Carlo SS would swap in and be better, but I honestly can't seem to dig up enough stuff on whether that's possible or practicle.

So what have you other Cutlass owners out there done to address this? :?

Furtrader

Master Mechanic
Jan 5, 2006
Ottawa,Ontario,Canada
You want the 8.5 from the following:
84 H/O(83 has 7.5)
Grand National 3.42
442 3.73

The Monte Carlo SS has a 7.5

Info is what I recall,not etched in stone.....

86Cutlass350

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 28, 2006
Springfield, MO
What about gears. Does anyone make any gear sets for the 7.5? What would I need to do to get something like 3.43s or 3.73s in mine?

SBCregal

Master Mechanic
Jan 22, 2006
Can't you put gears out of any other 7.5" into your rear? f-bodies, other g-bodies, s10/blazers etc would all fit i'd assume. Someone correct me if Im wrong.

Ryan

betsy84

Greasemonkey
Nov 27, 2005
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
80 s10/blazers posi's are a straight swap. Look for RPO code G80 = Posi.
There are 7.5" ring gears that you can buy. You can also get a Posi out of other 7.5" fbody's with 26 spline axle (pre 88 I believe). I just picked up a full rear end, Auburn posi 3.23s, all i need to do is bolt it in. When you get a posi you should either replace your LCAs or box them. If you're mostly driving in the street 3.23s or 3.42s would be good. 3.73s will give you a lower top speed, worse gas milage esp on the highway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor