Rear axle stamp codes

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgmeadows

Greasemonkey
Mar 29, 2017
Georgia
I have scoured on-line sources, but I am not finding any charts that match up to the stamped codes on my rear axle, so hoping someone can help me here. This axle is definitely an 8.5" G-Body axle - it has the squared off tabs at bottom. I bought it believing it to be a 3.73 non-posi, out of a 1984 Hurst Olds.

Here are the codes on the axle:

6TF G 273

From what I have found, the G indicates location of mfg (Detroit, it think) and the 273 is the day of manufacture ? I have seen a posting saying the code for a 3.73 Hurst Olds rear would be 8TF, but this stamp very clearly says 6TF. I will post a pic shortly if I can get it to work from my phone.

Anybody got any references that will match up this axle stamp to anything ?

Thanks

dgmeadows

Greasemonkey
Mar 29, 2017
Georgia
The pic below shows the stamping very clearly (before I painted it.) 30073.jpeg

dgmeadows

Greasemonkey
Mar 29, 2017
Georgia
Insert sound of crickets chirping....

Everything I have found indicates the "TF" = 3.73 rear gear. The G indicates location of production (Detroit, I think) and 273 is the day of the year it was manufactured.

The 6 at the beginning is still a mystery. I have seen posts saying the 8.5" rear end designation for 1984 Hurst Olds started with 8TF, and other years with 2TF, but nothing anywhere listed a 6 as the beginning number.

Another to chalk up to "who knows ?"

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
Finally! Had problems logging on. here is the information I have on GM rear axles. May be some of the same information you had found.
Here is a site that may give more information.http://tech.oldsgmail.com/axle_useage.php

Axle code location.gif axle-codes.gif

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
For the 8.5" Oldsmobile 3.73 rears:

According to the 84 CSM, chart in the back of section 4B, 6TF is for Hurst/Olds, NON-limited slip. 6TR is for LIMITED SLIP Hurst/Olds. This is also found in the parts book information in the front of Group 5.

The 8TF and 8TR (limited slip) were for 85 442 rear ends.

86 and 87 442 had 3TG and 3TR (limited slip) for their codes.

Limited slip (G80) was an option for ALL G-body H/O and 442. IIRC, the only G-body it was standard on was the GNX.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor