rear end clanging

Status
Not open for further replies.

grandprix2+2

Apprentice
Jun 13, 2007
So recently some funky crack pop and clang noises have been coming from the rear of my car. Replacing u-joints today I nearly positive thats the crack/pop noise. As for the clang, it seems to be coming from the rear itself. If I grab the rear tire(either one) and push/pull on it in and out i get a clanging noise. The noise sounds like its the drum or something but everything looks okay in there. The rear does have a little play from side to side but I'm told thats normal. I've had a friend look at this noise too, he thinks its nothing to worry about. So I've come here for some more advice on what you guys think it may be and if it is a problem or an annoyance?

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
Best advice is I can give, pull the cover off and have a look at what's going on in there. Make sure your pin has not hogged out your carrier, I have had a couple do this, this will make a clanging noise, and then kabloooy! :lol: Take note on how the fluid looks as it's draining, look in the housing for anything out of order shavings or other chunks.

grasshopper888

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 21, 2010
take a look at the lower shock bolts make sure there torqed! let me know what you find had same issue popped bad in turns and in a whole shot made it feel like it was gonna slap an axle...i havent drove mine since findin lose shock doin some other work to it

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
Check the rear springs, one may be broke.Also, check the rear shocks themselves..You might have a blown one causing the noise.

Hemihauler

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 2, 2010
Having similar issue, when car is hot, backing out i initially hear something from the rear. Was told to check all rearend mounting points. Still working on problem, will let you know if i find something deffinate-if you could do the same, thanks

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
If I grab the rear tire(either one) and push/pull on it in and out i get a clanging noise. The noise sounds like its the drum or something but everything looks okay in there. The rear does have a little play from side to side but I'm told thats normal. I've had a friend look at this noise too, he thinks its nothing to worry about. So I've come here for some more advice on what you guys think it may be and if it is a problem or an annoyance?[/quote]

My cars rear-end does the same when doing the same procedure, only thing i can think of that's it's the axles moving in and out and the c clips are banging against the spider gears... As for the clunking when shifting from park to drive it could be some wear in the parking pawl in the trans or thrust washers, even heard it could be the forward movement of the crank from worn bearings.My 79 GP did that for years before blowing up the trans from doing neutral drops :mrgreen: But i would check the what everybody else has mentioned and also the rear-end pinion and wheel bearings for play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor