Rear end

Status
Not open for further replies.

montecarlo85

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 10, 2013
I have an 85 monte carlo and i'm looking to put a 8.5 rearend under it, what are somethings to look out for aside from moving brackets around? Any advice would be great, thanks.

MightyCarlo86

Greasemonkey
Dec 15, 2012
As far as I know, from all of the posts that are already on the site about this topic the only thing you are going to need is to have your driveshaft shortened by 1" or get the driveshaft from the vehicle that it came out of. Im pretty sure thats it from the reading that I did on it before.

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
fdcutlass said:
I think you can swap out with a Buick Grand National.

The GM G body 8.5" rear is a direct swap for the standard 7.5" rear. All the factory mounts are the same so bracket relocation is not necessary. It is beyond me why people associate the 8.5" to only the Grand National and always say they have a "GN rear" in their car. They came on 1984-1987 G bodies that were either Hurst Olds, 442's, T type's or GN's.

Hoopty_Mike

Greasemonkey
Aug 5, 2012
CT
Also remember with the use of an 8.5 your drive shaft will need to be shortened an inch or so. Or you will need to grab the drive shaft from the vehicle you pulled the rear from.

fdcutlass

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 18, 2013
Anubis said:
fdcutlass said:

The GM G body 8.5" rear is a direct swap for the standard 7.5" rear. All the factory mounts are the same so bracket relocation is not necessary. It is beyond me why people associate the 8.5" to only the Grand National and always say they have a "GN rear" in their car. They came on 1984-1987 G bodies that were either Hurst Olds, 442's, T type's or GN's.

Cant speak for anyone else but for a newbie like me i think the grand national is the most recognizable 8.5 rear end.

86-blk442

G-Body Guru
Dec 2, 2008
West Seneca, New York
fdcutlass said:
Anubis said:
fdcutlass said:

Cant speak for anyone else but for a newbie like me i think the grand national is the most recognizable 8.5 rear end.

How can you tell the difference? All g body 8.5" rear ends are physically the same, aside from internal parts. My 442's rear axle looks no different than the Grand nationals....

2011-10-30_13-29-58_334.jpg

fdcutlass

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 18, 2013
as far as knowledge goes.

fdcutlass

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 18, 2013
Hey 86-blk442, is that the umi rear suspension set up on your car? if so what made you go with it over other brands and how much do you like it? Ive been looking at rear suspension sets and am having a hard time deciding what brand to go with, with level and adjustable or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor