rear frame rails

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwrmedic

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 8, 2006
New York
My 1979 GP SJ has the typical rear frame section rot, and I purchased 2 rust free sections off ebay.
Does anyone live in the lower NY area that can do a job like this? I'm in westchester county.

Thanks,

beeterolds

Master Mechanic
Dec 15, 2007
Cleveland ohio 44131
the hardest part of this job is removing the body mounts...if they arent rotted to the body..and cutting the section of frame that is no good.... realignment is key, ive boltin the new replacements to where they belong and weld plates to where the sections meet to add support...
sorry if this doesnt answer your question but a guy with minimal tools and some welding skill can accomplish this job in a day.

mwrmedic

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 8, 2006
New York
thanks for the response..I mean that section of frame isnt really supporting anything either except the bumper. I'll put it up on a lift to check it out again. Maybe me and the guys at work can do this..

85_SS

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2005
Ontario, Canada
You may find some rot above the rails on the body as well. Check out Conrad's patch panels for repairing those areas:

http://www3.sympatico.ca/conradlozier/

For pics of him installing his complete kit on my car, check out my site if interested. Just got back from his place today after he did some patchwork on the front sway bar area for me.

mwrmedic

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 8, 2006
New York
too bad i dont live closer..it looks like he does some good work! How does he weld the top of the new frame rail? pretty tight in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor