rear seat mod for mini tubs w/pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wile E

Greasemonkey
Apr 13, 2010
Central WI
I notched and mini tubbed last year, finally getting around to the interior. This mod is NOT necessary to fit your rear seat, with some minor tweaking to my upper seat frame, the seat would fit "OK". But since I'm having new custom seat covers made, I want the seat to be right. Also, I just like to make things harder than they need to be.
Here's how much room the mini tubs take:
minitubb002.jpg

Here's the section of seat frame I removed:
seatmodification018.jpg

Then I removed some of the seat faom, formed and welded in some new 3/16" steel rod. I put some rubber hose around the rods where the foam that left is a little thinner than I like. Once they are re-covered I post the finished seats.
seatmodification016.jpg

JrJohnston

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 9, 2009
S.W. Missouri
Have the upholstery shop put some 1/2" foam back in where you took out the other. It will compress enough to still fit, and keep the bars from being felt if leaned against.

454muscle

Royal Smart Person
Jan 31, 2010
Ontario, Canada eh!
Wow, nice work Wile E! Can't wait to see what the rear interior looks like when done. It's not that you made it "harder" , it's just that you're doing it "right" the first time.
What wheels/tires do you plan on fitting in those mini tubs?

Wile E

Greasemonkey
Apr 13, 2010
Central WI
454muscle said:
Wow, nice work Wile E! Can't wait to see what the rear interior looks like when done. It's not that you made it "harder" , it's just that you're doing it "right" the first time.
What wheels/tires do you plan on fitting in those mini tubs?
Not sure on the tires/wheels just yet( probally cannot afford them this year) I've rolled the lips and mocked up with a 10" wide rim with 5" to 5-1/2" backspacing. Boxed the factory upper and lower control arms,would love to go coil-overs, but it's not in the budget. By the way..NICE GP
Thanks JrJohnston for the 1/2"foam tip.
mockup013.jpg

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
Nice work.

Not sure what size wheel/tire you plan on running but with what you have done, you should be able to fit more than just a 10" rim.

I notched the frame on my '87 and then moved the tubs in just a little and could fit a 17x11" rim with 6" of back spacing and a 315/35R17 tire without issue. In fact 335/35R17 tires fit as well although are a bit tight.

This is all we moved my tubs in by:

Rearwheeltubs.jpg

Doing all that work you might as well use every inch of it that you can!

Wile E

Greasemonkey
Apr 13, 2010
Central WI
hmmm...335/35R17, now that has me thinking....

3XBrownCutty

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2008
NW PA
looks like an awesome car jsut from what i've seen so far! keep it up! 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor