Rear seat swap with car seat clips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bitterman

Greasemonkey
Jan 17, 2017
I know interior swap questions have been asked several times over. Anyone do a rear seat swap that has the car seat attachment/metal loops to attach car seats? I really just need the rear seat for my project.

Thanks in advance

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Could you clarify what is the question? Are you having trouble getting the seat to clip in? Are you looking for a seat?

Bitterman

Greasemonkey
Jan 17, 2017
Could you clarify what is the question? Are you having trouble getting the seat to clip in? Are you looking for a seat?

Sorry for the confusion, yes looking for suggestions of rear seats that can replace my old rear seat. I want the new seat to have the modern car seat loops.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
It depends up on what you have to work with. You can form a loop from wire or thin plate that bolts on to your donor seat.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
I think they are referring to the upper tether mount for a child carseat. Gbodys dont have shoulder belts or car seat tethers so even if you swap some seats from another vehicle the proper tether mounts are not there. However it can still be safely done ( or at least as safe as a car with a 1 start crash rating gets anyways )
You can purchase the tether clip from the same places you purchase the car seat from ( or at least you could when my kids were little ). Then due to the speaker locations on a gbody you would drill up thru the speaker deck centred in the middle and mount it there using nyloc nuts and the hardened bolt provided install your tether mount up top and adjust the centre lap belt with your weight on the car seat to take the slack from the belt. So it's "rear centre mount only" for a forward facing seat unless you remove one of the rear speakers and plate over it to place the tether there. I have also seen where shoulder belts were retrofitted from Wbody into the rear of a Gbody ( complete with fold down rear seat ) but its all redneck engineering and "for off road use only "

Bitterman

Greasemonkey
Jan 17, 2017
True. I was hoping to swap in a rear seat that already had the clips there. Redneck engineering is not what I'm after for this, but the options axisg suggested may work. Moding the speaker area to get the car seat to mount sounds good to me. Thanks!

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Royal Smart Person > Comic Book Super Hero. Child Car Seat. Axis G nailed it. Here are a couple examples. Ford makes a plate for the upper tether strap that bolts to the truck cab behind the seat. You could go to a boneyard and unbolt a couple of these. The lap belt works in most car seats to anchor the bottom. The last photo is a Honda Pilot. There is a loop of 3/16" wire that projects from the the seat bottom. The latest car seats just clip into these. You can browse a couple of cars and find something you can bolt into your G.
Car Seat Tether Anchor.jpg DSCN6685.JPG DSCN6687.JPG

Last edited:

Bitterman

Greasemonkey
Jan 17, 2017
Yes, thats perfect. I think thats a great mod! Tons of those in boneyards around me too. Thanks guys! Really appreciate it!

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
When you are ready to upgrade from a rear-facing baby bucket, consider the Radian 65 or Radian 80. They are expensive, but made of steel and they fold up to check into baggage on the airplane with you. The number corresponds to maximum weight. My six year old is still in one in the Pferd because his feet don't yet touch the floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor