Rearend Swap to GM 12-Bolt

Status
Not open for further replies.

GotSomeRust

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 9, 2008
South Dakota
I'm swapping out the stock rearend of my 84 Cutlass for a GM 12-Bolt. The car is going to see the strip a few times. I'm not real good with knowing what's what. I have the 12-bolt rearend. Can someone tell me exactly what I need to swap the rearends? If you could point me to part numbers, a kit, or anything else in Summit Racing, Jegs, or wherever, I'd appreciate it. Thanks...

79malibu

Master Mechanic
Jul 30, 2007
south dakota
rears

i don't know about rear swaps but what part of SD you in?

79malibu

Master Mechanic
Jul 30, 2007
south dakota
rears

rosholt, in the corner with ND and Minnesota

rikbar

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 23, 2007
sorry can't help with your queston :oops:

but just wanted to say "hi" to a couple of fellow south dakotans
I am on the west side.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
It all depends on what you got the 12 bolt out of. There are 2 widths of A body axles--64-67 and 68-72--, plus Camaro, Nova and Big Car (Impala, etc.) axles as well. There is also a 12 bolt truck axle too, but it is not the same as the passenger car axle! The Big Car axle also uses a 5 on 5 bolt circle as compared to the 5 on 4.75 for the smaller vehicles.

GotSomeRust

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 9, 2008
South Dakota
I'm not sure what it came out of. It was loose when I bought it. I'm assuming it came from the 68-72 era, but I haven't verified that. Is there a kit or what exactly do I need to get it under my car? Thanks

shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly
Measure drum to drum should get you going in the right direction of IDing it.

Look for any numbers/letters stamped on the axle tubes.

After we figure out what it is,buy the SSM bar I have for putting a 12 bolt in a Gbody. 8)

GotSomeRust

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 9, 2008
South Dakota
I didn't get a chance to look for any numbers, but overall it measures 58 inches the tip of one axel tube to the other. 68-72 Chevelle?

bigdan

Master Mechanic
Oct 3, 2007
st-jean baptiste ,quebec,
58" from tube ends ...must be from a B body : impala caprice etc... too wide
your g body is 58" total width

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor