Rearend/wheel question

Status
Not open for further replies.

eversmann79

Greasemonkey
Jan 29, 2011
If I were to custom order a 9" that's one inch wider on each side would that mean I could run 1" deeper back spacing wheels?
I want boss 338 wheels but have heard some troubles about fitment

khan0165

Royal Smart Person
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
generally, anything past 4 inches of backspacing on a Gbody is pushing your luck. There are many cases where 4.5 or even up to 5 inches has worked without any modifications.
If you've had a frame repair, you may even have less than 4 inches available.

So really, you can't be sure unless you get under your car and measure everything out.

But by theory, you should be good for 5 inch backspacing with a 2 inch wider rearend.

78MC-BBC

Master Mechanic
Jan 29, 2008
a lot of the backspacing questions also differ by what model g-body you have? i know on my 78 i am running a 5" backspacing on a set of 17x9.5 centerline wheels and have no problems with the wheels hitting the frame or body and i am running a stock 8.5" rear axle

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
It seem as the diameter goes up, you can get away with more backspace(which really doesn't make sense). My 16x8 with 4.75 bs needed a spacer. My 17x8's with 4.5 had plenty of room. And my 18x9.5 has 5.5bs, which i'm currently running with 1" adapters, however 1/2" spacers would work(which would give me 5" bs).

khan0165

Royal Smart Person
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
alot depends on tire sidewall buldge as well...
on smaller rims, a taller tire is used and usually has more sidewall buldge. As rims get larger, the tires become more low profile, and the sidewalls buldge less.

for example... two rims, 15" and 17", both 8" wide, both 9" tire tread width. The sidewalls may stick out to 10" on the 15" rim, where only 9" on the 17" rim.

eversmann79

Greasemonkey
Jan 29, 2011
I have a 78 regal.
I really just don't wanna buy these rims and mount 275 tires and have them go to waste because they don't fit.
Rims are 5" BS and 275 tires

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
eversmann79 said:
I have a 78 regal.
I really just don't wanna buy these rims and mount 275 tires and have them go to waste because they don't fit.
no way in the world your going to fit a 275 under the back with 5" backspace. i have an 80 and its the same wheel well. its tight in there with 4" of backspace. you could run spacers and thats about it.

now if the axle is 1" wider on each side then yes those 5" back space wheels will fit like a 4" wheel on a stock width rear.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
mebe007 said:
eversmann79 said:
I have a 78 regal.
no way in the world your going to fit a 275 under the back with 5" backspace. i have an 80 and its the same wheel well. its tight in there with 4" of backspace. you could run spacers and thats about it.

now if the axle is 1" wider on each side then yes those 5" back space wheels will fit like a 4" wheel on a stock width rear.

You wouldn't think that it would, but 5" bs on mine would be perfect and it's even lowered. It has 255/45/18's now and I have 275/40/18's that will go on when the others are done. There may be a need for some small spacers, but other people have already done it.
Like I said earlier, rim diameter makes a big difference. I agree that a 275 on a 15" rim with 5" bs will not fit, but an 18" rim is a different story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor