rebuilding steering column

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atl_Monte

Apprentice
Oct 23, 2008
Atlanta, GA
www.u-c-it.com
I have a 85 SS monte carlo and the steering column has began to develope alot of play in the area of where it tilts, in addition someone tried to steal the car awhile back and I replaced the steering column with one from a local salvage yard that had the shifter on the column and just removed the lever due to the my car is a floor shift, so I was wondering if I could rebuild the column to remove the play and replace the column shift bowl with a floor shift bowl while I'm at it.

Most likely the play is from the 3 reverse torq screws down inside the collumn. Since you have to pull the bowl off anyway to get to the screws you might as well replace it and any other damaged pieces.

I had an internal failure of the plastic bowl, the part that held the turn signal's pivot in place. I found a "theft recovery kit" on Ebay (forgot the vendors name) but it came with everything to do an upper overhual .... including a bowl dyed to my O.E.M. interior color. I'd hunt that guy down and see if it's as simple as swapping bowls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor