Recommended headliner adhesive?

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I just remembered, when I did mine, I painted the backing board with fiberglass resin. That may have given a much better surface for the glue to adhere to than the old board.
Mark,
Thinking back, I should've also coated the entire back board with resin rather than just focusing on the cracks and imperfections. Like you said, it creates a better bonding surface and of course adds strength to the back board.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Reactions: 1 user

spongbob

Greasemonkey
Oct 1, 2022
Get all the sponge off the board .I've had (last few years) the 3m sprays whitch used to be the best to come loose in a few months ...I'm thinking of going to weldwood as i prefer to use cloth on custom jobs like g body that is upolstry velor. I use a rounded mayanese jar to smooth work in 1 foot section fold the rest up patch cracks on the board "with 5 minet epoxy and brown sack paper" dont work below 60 degrees with cloth your going to have a few wrinkles just smush um down

Last edited:

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
As much as I curse the Jeeps, the headliners on our old Cherokees are the perfect material. A thick hard foam that is easy to clean and keeps it's shape. Are you listening GM?
Are you listening, 1983 GM?

I did this job in 1994 and rubbed my hands raw getting the residual tricot foam boogers off. Applied 3M 77 to the bare wagon board and foam, waited for tacky, then stuck the together and used a hand roller to work the glue faces firmly together. The new headliner outlasted the rest of the car.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
what fabric should I buy? Doing this job this winter.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
what fabric should I buy? Doing this job this winter.
Get a headliner fabric in the color you like. Foam on the back. Stuff is like 55 or 60 inches wide, and you can get enough to do the top and the visors if you need those done. Probably 2.5 yards should do a full length headliner and the visors. T-tops, you obviously need about a yard less. The visors need someone that is fluent in redoing the visors as they'll need to be sewn. Might get away with less, but I don't like ending up not having enough material.

IIRC, the full headliner board in the G-bodies are something around 55" long and 47" wide or something around that. I could be wrong. Been a while since I measured one.

Automotive upholstery suppliers and shops probably can hook you up. Try a local place, as 9 times out of 10 they don't LIKE doing the job, but usually they'll sell you the material and may even give you a good deal on it.

Take a swatch of your dead headliner with you or drive the car over to match up what you need.

Of course, you can always do the internet thing.

Reactions: 2 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor