Recommended headliner adhesive?

WanaBa442

G-Body Guru
Aug 5, 2017
New England
So I guess it begs the question....
Now that you've sprayed the crap that doesn't work, will it bond to the same said crap on the headliner material and still work?
I can see trying to get the old off the headliner board, but no way are you going to be able to "remove" something off a cloth liner....

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
So I guess it begs the question....
Now that you've sprayed the crap that doesn't work, will it bond to the same said crap on the headliner material and still work?
I can see trying to get the old off the headliner board, but no way are you going to be able to "remove" something off a cloth liner....
The existing headliner will be destroyed upon removal on whatever is sticking now. Plus, I'd want a fresh slate if'n it were me. I hate doing jobs twice because of using not-so-great products, but when you have to, you have to.

Reactions: 1 user

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I used that Permatex stuff twice last year and had no problems. This is with the heat waves we have and so far no drooping. Keeping fingers crossed......

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero

brrian

Master Mechanic
Jul 7, 2022
Pittsburgh, PA
This is with the heat waves we have and so far no drooping. Keeping fingers crossed......
I wondered if this had something to do with it. I don't have a garage so my car is always out in the heat. No issues all winter/spring. It shouldn't matter, but maybe this.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Last fall I used the Permatex adhesive below - I carefully followed instructions & installed new headliner fabric onto my existing, well-prepped panel. This spring the fabric started separating from the board above the front seats, and now it's all separated. Is this stuff just not that great? Is there a different adhesive that you all recommend that you like & that'll last?

View attachment 225206
It instantly separated for me as well, despite plenty of prep. As said, get 3M.

brrian

Master Mechanic
Jul 7, 2022
Pittsburgh, PA
I pulled the headliner out. Sure enough, it's the glue separating. My prep was fine. It was holding around the perimeter where it was squeezed by trim, and a heat gun loosened it - which adds to my belief that it's also heat that caused it to separate. So maybe Permatex was fine in the olden days of normal temperatures, or fine when a car is garaged. I resprayed with 3M & fingers crossed that the layers of Permatex still there don't separate. The only choice then would be a new headliner.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I've used 3M High Strength 90 in the past, and most recently used Camie 363 High strength adhesive which I purchased with the fabric. Both seem to work pretty well.
Weldwood contact cement has always been a proven product for various uses. Actually I thought of using Contact Cement with one of my old siphon feed spray guns.

Reactions: 1 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I just remembered, when I did mine, I painted the backing board with fiberglass resin. That may have given a much better surface for the glue to adhere to than the old board.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor