Remove hood hinge spring for fiberglass hood

Coltrane

Greasemonkey
Jul 6, 2020
Hey everyone!

I'm going to be putting a fiberglass cowl hood on my monte and was wondering about removing the coil part of the hinge. I know that if I just replace the hood and leave it all there, it will be too strong for the fiberglass hood and bend it a bit. I don't mind using a prop rod, so I'm just wondering if removing the coil part is the best way.

If that is what I should do, what is the safest way to remove it? I've seen some differing opinions online about it and just wanted your thoughts. Thanks in advance!

Monte hood hinge.JPG

Just unbolt the entire spring assembly. The spring part is separate of the hinge itself.

I guess my question was more of how do I get rid of the coil so I still can use the stock hinge with the new hood, but yeah I think just unbolting the whole thing and getting a new hinge (like what was recommended above) might be the best bet.

I guess my question was more of how do I get rid of the coil so I still can use the stock hinge with the new hood, but yeah I think just unbolting the whole thing and getting a new hinge (like what was recommended above) might be the best bet.
Maybe I wasn't clear enough, the hinge pin is not part of the spring. You can take the piece with the coil off, and the hinge is still mounted to the hood. The hood still pivots up and down as normal. You would need a prop rod as you described, but the hood still open and closes as normal.

Reactions: 2 users
Maybe I wasn't clear enough, the hinge pin is not part of the spring. You can take the piece with the coil off, and the hinge is still mounted to the hood. The hood still pivots up and down as normal. You would need a prop rod as you described, but the hood still open and closes as normal.

Oh sorry about that! I've heard that taking the coil itself off can be a bit tricky - got any tips for that?

What year MC?

On an 80 Cutlass I removed the springs, then drilled a hole in both levers of the hinge with hood fully raised and used a safety pin through the holes to hold the hood up.

In my MC I’m using gas struts that work perfectly - it’s an ‘84. I believe the hinges are different on the earlier ones. I can post some pics if you would like of my strut setup.

Reactions: 2 users
What year MC?

On an 80 Cutlass I removed the springs, then drilled a hole in both levers of the hinge with hood fully raised and used a safety pin through the holes to hold the hood up.

In my MC I’m using gas struts that work perfectly - it’s an ‘84. I believe the hinges are different on the earlier ones. I can post some pics if you would like of my strut setup.
That’d be awesome! (The pics) Mine is an ‘85

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor