removing contact cement from door panels

Status
Not open for further replies.

rangertom

Greasemonkey
Sep 2, 2012
Independence, MO
Does anyone know a good way to remove the contact cement or whatever glue it is from the lower door panels where they glued the carpet on at ? I removed the carpet from my 84 cutlass but i would like to completly clean it up before i replace with new carpet but that glue is stubborn, i've tried laquer thinner in the past but that makes a heck of a mess. any help is appreciated

Nobody ? I tried my heat gun and a putty knife and although it took off the majority of the glue it basically just spread it smooth and filled in all the texture in the panel, was hoping to completly remove it... i'm kinda anal that way, my perfectionism is shining through 😀

The previous owner of my elco had put contact cement/glue over every interior panel i had. The only way i found that worked was wet stick sanding with 360 grit. It may be a little time consuming, but it'll completely remove the contact cement. Hope this helps bro.

I'd try any of the acrylic solvents...goo gone, Kent industries Acrysol, 3M 8984 general purpose adhesive remover

it's still tacky, i am afraid the solvents will do the same as the laquer thinner and basically melt it into the texture... i guess it's just gonna get covered up with new carpet anyway, man my OCD really gives me headaches...lol

Except that they're made to remove adhesive...whereas thinner is not

If it's still tacky, just reapply over it. I thought you were trying to remove the adhesive and were going to leave the panels plain

No i'm going to put new carpet back on there when i find a bown color that i like... i'm just OCD and wanted to completly clean off the old to make way for the new...lol

3M made some stuff that came in a aresol can called Release Agent part# 08971. You would spray it in & let it set for awhile & it would soften up the weatherstrip adhesive making it easier to remove. Automotive paint supply stores typicall carry it.

Try Goo Gone. You can get it cheap at Home Depot and it works good. I used it to get rid of the residue from my tint. Just spray it on good, let it sit for a couple minutes and then wipe clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor