Reproduction Malibu Wagon Interior Parts Interest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firetruck1

Greasemonkey
Nov 1, 2017
Any other input from the group? We are on the fence about this investment in time and the demand of the hot rod community.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
I love my wagons, but I can't see how there is any hope to turn a buck on wagon-specific parts. I question whether you'd even recover the tooling and production costs.

Many people get into G bodies because they're less expensive than the "real cars", side product of that is few can/will pay top dollar for really good stuff....and as mentioned, not many are into clean stock-type interiors in wagons.

Years ago, I was heavily into a different marque of car. At that time, there were no V8 headers in production that actually fit the chassis. There were Hooker Super Comps (overkill for the typical build in this chassis and over $500 20 years ago) and Hedman, with a primary tube that ran under the engine crossmember. Our group had a member that had connections in the industry and said he would see what they could do. Everybody got all excited, promised they'd buy a set (or 2!), couldn't wait, bugged him for updates incessantly. After a few months, they had a prototype, installed in a stock chassis, fit beautifully. When the price was revealed to be $350 based on selling 50 sets, they beggars all faded into the woodwork and went back to buying, butchering, and complaining about the $150 Hedmans. And that was the end of that.

All that said, earnestly wishing you the best of luck on the wagon parts! Would be awesome to see some NEW parts come to life.

Reactions: 1 users

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
I have a very close friend who has the ability to reproduce plastic parts. These will be primarily geared towards the wagon community but some will work in 4 door cars as well and many of the non Chevrolet variants. He has already made the part that goes at the very bottom of the door jam for the rear doors where you transition around the seat hinge (bottom corner of the C pillar). The parts are made or UV resistant and paintable ABS with an accurate texture. To the best of our knowledge, no one makes these parts or currently markets them. My question here is what would the interest for these parts be to the general G-Body world?

He has plans to make molds and run copies for the following parts;

A pillar Covers
Upper front door panels
Lower front door panels
B pillar covers (long side)
B pillar lower section
Upper rear door panel
Lower rear door panel
Rear door handle inserts
Tailgate covers
Tailgate cover insert
D pillar cover
How about small interior emblems such as the little (1979) El Camino SS emblem on the passenger side dash to the left of the glovebox?

Last edited:

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
we could use new retainers clips for the head liner trim. this would be a higher volume part with small tooling costs. maybe more wagon interiors would be fixed up if they were available.

Reactions: 2 users

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
we could use new retainers clips for the head liner trim. this would be a higher volume part with small tooling costs. maybe more wagon interiors would be fixed up if they were available.
Rapid prototype plastic would be sufficient since they'd never see UV.

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
ABS headliner boards like the cars have would be very nice too.

Searching for dry rot free rear panels even in the upper midwest has been a challenge.

jadigen

Greasemonkey
Jun 6, 2017
S.Jersey
When the price was revealed to be $350 based on selling 50 sets, they beggars all faded into the woodwork and went back to buying, butchering, and complaining about the $150 Hedmans. And that was the end of that.

I see that in the Mopar world all the time. Guys want something,say they are all in and when pricing comes out they are out. Really sucks. Though a $350 good fitting small block Mopar header would fly off the shelf considering the Doug's and tti headers that a tually fit nice are $500-$800. Lol

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Did this go forward, by chance? I hope to round up some survivors to see if they can be copied.

Reactions: 1 user

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
I have not heard any more.
Maybe what we need to find is a college person pursuing a manufacturing degree with access to a 3-printer for some of the smaller items.
My son is that age group, but he doesn't know any of those students

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor