Reusing suspension bolts

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffL

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 6, 2009
Denton, Texas
Removed the rear end from my 80 GrandAM and was wondering if I can reuse the bolts for the control arms, sway bar etc. They are rusted but using PB Blaster none broke or had thread damage also they clean right up using my blaster
cabinet.

If they cannot be reused any ideas where to get replacements they are labeled 10.9 which I think is a grade 8 SAE and if possible I'd like to stay metric just so i don't have to remember which type of bolt is where.

Thanks

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
I think it is mostly up to you. If they are still in pretty good shape, you should be fine reusing them. I know regular shops don't always replace the bolts when they have suspension components out.

If you decide to reuse them, Spohn performance has them. You may be able to get them from a hardware store, but some might be a special style of bolt, not sure which ones are.

http://www.spohn.net/shop/1978-1987-GM-G-Body/Suspension/Hardware-Kits/

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
if the threads are clean and the nuts go on with no slop there's no problem. GM doesn't use jesus bolts on the older cars.

78mali350

Royal Smart Person
May 13, 2007
Pratt, KS
i would replace them if i was in there doing the work, better to have a brand new bolt than a 30 year old one. just my .02

Lawfree

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 7, 2008
The 10.9 markings are Metric & roughly equivalent to SAE Grade 8 bolts. I'm getting ready to install a 8.5" Grand National
rear in my 80' Cutlass Calais and bought all new hardware. For myself it doesn't make sense to cut corners on hardware
and if I have to use PB Blaster and fight getting stuff a part, I replace it with new. The rear control arm hardware I got is just for that & from Edelbrock thru Summit Racing. Some people are switching to SAE as they are slightly bigger Diameter
and will take some of the slop out at the bushings. You may have to have to enlarge the frame holes a bit.
I would definitely avoid using "hardware store" nuts and bolts as many times these will be cheap Asian imports and the quality is often poor. I just had a 18mmm 10.9 bolt (what it was marked)snap at @ 35 ft/lbs of Torque. It should have been able to handle a whole lot more! After I finally got the broken bolt out you could see the junk metal it was made from.
Buy good hardware, it is cheap insurance.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
I clean up original bolts and nuts for reusing all the time.
Just wire wheel the grime/rust off, run a die over the threads or tap into the threads if you have to, and a quick shot of spray paint and they're good as new. Hell, I even reuse lock nuts. The crimped steel ones are ok to reuse, the nylon ones should be replaced. As long as they aren't rusting away, they're fine.

I'd rather use a 40 year old O.E. fastener than a brand new piece of junk from China any day...

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
I don't recomend reusing them. I think new ones only cost like $20-30. I have reused old suspension bolts in the past without problems. But then there was the one time I did and I sold the car a week later. And one of the bolts broke on him while he was driving it. He was lucky to have no real damage. But for $30 is it worth the risk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor