Royal Smart Person
Jun 4, 2009
Nice, glad to hear it all went smooth

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
krazykyle said:
i don't think that is going to work.the blue wires are for the gear selector switch and yes is also goes to the back up lights.i put jumper wires between the gear selector and attached the other end to the switch on the shifter still starts in every gear.joe sounds right,seems like there is a mechanical switch in the column to lock out staring in gear.i really like to get this shifter to work with neutral switch.any other ways around this.

As noted above, you have to interrupt the purple wire to the "S" terminal on the starter solenoid. Due to the limited current carrying capacity of the micro switch on the shifter, you should use a relay. Use the micro switch to close relay, and the relay closes the purple wire to the starter. This does the same thing as the old electrical neutral safety switch used prior to the G-bodies.

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
84cutspreme said:
Have you actually looked at the wiring diagrams for a G-body?

Hence the wiring diagram I showed pics of...I have both switches working in my 84 cutlass.

And where, exactly, is the starter circuit on that diagram?

84cutspreme

Royal Smart Person
Jun 4, 2009
I can post if you want I have both chassis & electric manuals... he only needed the reverse diagram. Also I wasn't using factory micro switch with starter, so I didn't need a relay but a relay is never a bad idea.

roger1

G-Body Guru
Aug 23, 2010
San Angelo, TX
joe_padavano said:
In any case, G-body cars do not have an electric neutral safety switch. They have a mechanical interlock in the steering column. If you have disconnected the backdrive linkage to the column, this interlock will not function and you will be able to start the car in any gear. The switch on the column is for the backup lights and a park/neutral signal to the computer. It is NOT connected to the starting circuit.

I know this thread is old but I need some help and I know you know what you are talking about on this.

I have a 1983 El Camino with a column shift tilt column and the mechanical neutral safety switch is not working. It will turn over and start with the shift lever in any gear.

Where is this mechanical interlock piece in the column. I would have to guess mine is broken. I have the factory service manual for this car and have been studying the exploded views of the column and can't find where the part is or what they call it. Also, will the part even be available to replace?

I could put a relay on the wire that goes to the ECM from the p/n switch on the bottom of the column and then cut the purple wire to the solenoid and connect to the relay. Would I be better off doing that instead of trying to fix the problem whithin the column?

I hope you see this. It looks like you haven't posted on this forum for a few years.

Of course, if anyone else knows the answer, I'd sure appreciate some help.

Thanks,
Roger

t01blaze

Master Mechanic
Oct 4, 2011
South New Jersey
roger1 said:
I could put a relay on the wire that goes to the ECM from the p/n switch on the bottom of the column and then cut the purple wire to the solenoid and connect to the relay. Would I be better off doing that instead of trying to fix the problem whithin the column?

Yes you could but I think you are better off getting a new steering column, either to replace your broken one or for parts to fix it. I'm sure you can find someone on here that has a column since the column shift was very popular. I think it's strange that the interlock is broken and I am not familiar with how it works. I have a spare steering column apart right now and I might have the part you need to fix yours. I'm going to go take a look at the shifter assembly part of the column and see if I can figure out how it works.

roger1

G-Body Guru
Aug 23, 2010
San Angelo, TX
t01blaze said:
... I have a spare steering column apart right now and I might have the part you need to fix yours. I'm going to go take a look at the shifter assembly part of the column and see if I can figure out how it works.
That would be cool. I'd sure buy it from you if we can find out what part it is.
I'm still hoping Joe will chime in with an answer. It seems he knows these columns very well. But, maybe you will see it when you get it apart. I don't want to tear down mine just yet as I'd like to find out the answers first.

roger1

G-Body Guru
Aug 23, 2010
San Angelo, TX
t01blaze said:
I have a spare steering column apart right now and I might have the part you need to fix yours. I'm going to go take a look at the shifter assembly part of the column and see if I can figure out how it works.

From information about this I've received on other forums, I believe the part I have broken is the this small cast piece attached to the ignition switch actuator rod:

actuator01.jpg

I'm not 100% sure though. Evidendly, that little wedge shaped protrusion on the cast piece is what keeps the rod from moving all the way when the shift lever is in Park or Neutral.

Maybe if you get your spare column torn down, you will be able to see. I do have mine torn down some but I need to get the right tool for pulling the pivot pins. I'm tied up for the next week and won't be able to work on it either. But, I'll keep an eye out here to see if you post with any new info.

Thanks,
Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor