Richard Holdener Tests a 3800

Status
Not open for further replies.

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
The computer isn't the only thing lacking bandwidth in this scenario. I am starting to think I need to open a school. ;)

do it jewish GIF

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
This is why i wanted to put in a MAF sensor. All the data!
I’ve never seen the purpose of a MAF sensor, especially in this scenario. The air flow can be calculated from the VE, and leaks make the MAF completely useless. I’m sure his junkyard setups leak like a sieve everywhere, or I’ll guess.

Regarding Mike’s thoughts, it irks me that he never pushes anything to the limit. Or at least to the edge. His S475 testing in built 4.8 short block p’d me off. Always stop at 15-18psi - why?????? Especially during the cam test.

I have to say though that I enjoy most of his crap, it sure as hell beats watching Big Brother, The Voice or the need according to a journalist lol.

Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Forgot to mention, the compound deal is super cool, but can get away from you quick without a well designed system. The boost build isn’t linear.

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
I’ve never seen the purpose of a MAF sensor, especially in this scenario. The air flow can be calculated from the VE, and leaks make the MAF completely useless. I’m sure his junkyard setups leak like a sieve everywhere, or I’ll guess.

Regarding Mike’s thoughts, it irks me that he never pushes anything to the limit. Or at least to the edge. His S475 testing in built 4.8 short block p’d me off. Always stop at 15-18psi - why?????? Especially during the cam test.

I have to say though that I enjoy most of his crap, it sure as hell beats watching Big Brother, The Voice or the need according to a journalist lol.
Calibrated Mass air would make fuel tuning way more accurate in SD and you would have real time horsepower and efficiency numbers when you made a change like a cam or heads.

I will eventually have one on the cutlass, just need to figure out how I want to make it happen.

• Agree

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Calibrated Mass air would make fuel tuning way more accurate in SD and you would have real time horsepower and efficiency numbers when you made a change like a cam or heads.

I will eventually have one on the cutlass, just need to figure out how I want to make it happen.

The challenge is always calibrating the MAF to the capacity of the combination. Tube diameter is an interesting variable, as is accuracy relative to turbulence across the sensor. Good times.

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
The challenge is always calibrating the MAF to the capacity of the combination. Tube diameter is an interesting variable, as is accuracy relative to turbulence across the sensor. Good times.
This in a 3.5" post intercooler pipe.

This before It about 6" away.

Insight? I've never messed with MAF so I don't know.

The wiring and software is relatively simple, the flow issues and calibrating in pressured flow is not.

• Agree

bs009

Greasemonkey
Jul 26, 2008
Smashville
What I'm sure he's planning on doing here is pushing the motors to the limit with what he calls a "big bang test" and I'm sure he's taking things relatively easy right now to test out a few different things before trying to break the motor.

He did end up pushing his 4.8 engine up over 27 psi before they had an ignition issue that they didn't have time to fix.
edit:
also this video shows a few others he's pushed to their limits:

I'm imagining he's running in speed density, but if he's tuning off the MAF I'm sure the junkyard motor is sealing just fine in the areas where it matters since it was pulled from a wrecked car. valve cover gaskets like to leak on these though.

Last edited:

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
What I'm sure he's planning on doing here is pushing the motors to the limit with what he calls a "big bang test" and I'm sure he's taking things relatively easy right now to test out a few different things before trying to break the motor.

He did end up pushing his 4.8 engine up over 27 psi before they had an ignition issue that they didn't have time to fix.
edit:
also this video shows a few others he's pushed to their limits:

I'm imagining he's running in speed density, but if he's tuning off the MAF I'm sure the junkyard motor is sealing just fine in the areas where it matters since it was pulled from a wrecked car. valve cover gaskets like to leak on these though.
Nobody tunes off MAF, just Mike because he's a Mas*chist.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
  • Agree

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
  • Agree

bs009

Greasemonkey
Jul 26, 2008
Smashville
Nobody tunes off MAF, just Mike because he's a Mas*chist.
Unfortunately the only way to tune a 3800 with the factory pcm is to use MAF tuning. The VE tables only go up to 140 kPa on those PCMs.
It hasn't been too difficult for me so far so I'm excited to see if speed density is a lot easier once I switch over to the Holley. I've heard a lot of good things about speed density

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor