riddle me this batman...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volumeshooter

Greasemonkey
Aug 29, 2011
Memphis TN
What I have seen here in Memphis is that sometimes the car is being sold without title cause someone took out title loan and doesn't have title anymore. It seams that almost half the cars in Craigslist here are with bill of sale only. Applying for a lost title is simple and not very expensive, so I tend to think that there is something fishy with no title sales.

Randy_W

G-Body Guru
Oct 16, 2005
Eastern Shore
More and more states don't issue titles on cars more than a certain age, some states it's as little as 20 years old. :wink:

aint_no_half_stephen

Greasemonkey
Aug 10, 2006
Akron, Oh.
The GP I bought recently didn't have a title. So i got a court issued title. Having a bill of sale helps alot.Having a bill of sale(s) shows proper transfer of ownership without a title. Buying a car without title is risky, but worth it( depending on the car).

lildudefl

Master Mechanic
Aug 25, 2011
Las Vegas (Cali at Heart)
In california it's actually very easy to get a title for a vehicle you buy without one. as long as you have a bill of sale. I have even made up my own bill of sale on my cutlass i used to have because the guy i bought it from (whom i knew very well) was never available to fill it out after i gave him the money and had the car. I turned it in they do there work and in a couple weeks usps drops it in my mailbox....... :D But if there is no title i would at least make sure the last registration papers had the so-called owners name on it and get a copy of their drivers license

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
Personally I won't even touch a car without a title. There's too much BS associated with it and you're basically buying someone else's problem. A lot of scrap yards won't take cars without titles either.

Here's something else to think about too. I sold a '79 Malibu to a guy when I was 18 and he never bothered to have the car put in his name. I eventually got a letter in the mail about the car being in an impound yard. I went to check it out and discovered that the owner got arrested on drug charges. The car had been painted and gotten new wheels. With the letter I got into the yard, then we had almost finished swapping wheels to my Monte SS until a State Trooper stopped by and made us switch them back because he knew the deal with the car.

Even though my GP won't see the road anytime soon, the first thing I did was have the title transferred to avoid anything stupid from happening.

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
I would think that in any state you would have to have a title to register a vehicle. My little Ranger I had a couple of months back had a salvage "TOTAL LOSS CLAIM" title. But I had a title still. There are really only two reasons; either they are just lazy and lost it and don't feel like doing the paper work for another one :roll: or there is a lein on the vehicle (and somebody will get screwed over on that deal)

67rstbkt

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2010
Reno, Nevada
gk666 said:
Thus far no one has talked about the Nissan Skyline in this thread... If ever there were a car to sell without a title that's the one... you should read about it and how communism run by Porsche owners sucks...

What are you talking about?

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
67rstbkt said:
gk666 said:
Thus far no one has talked about the Nissan Skyline in this thread... If ever there were a car to sell without a title that's the one... you should read about it and how communism run by Porsche owners sucks...

LOL! Wow man, where did that come from?

Randy_W

G-Body Guru
Oct 16, 2005
Eastern Shore
For those not paying attention earlier, some states do not/will not provide a title on older cars, age varies among those states.

gk666

Master Mechanic
Oct 11, 2010
G-Body_Vet said:
67rstbkt said:
gk666 said:

LOL! Wow man, where did that come from?

-.- ok it didn't come out of left field... essentially in the world there exists a car called the skyline and it is awesome in all ways

img_8730.jpg

That is a skyline and before you say hmm, never seen one of those cars before.... its because they are one on a group of cars considered outlawed in america... the title to this car might say 2000 Nissan Skyline, guess what when you take it to the mva, its useless because since the car never passed domestic regulations, it cannot pass inspection and cannot be tagged unless historic and since it's not historic according to federal law the title is useless... so it is one of the cars that people buy titles for and weld vins on to the car and potentially title the vehicle although still incredibly illegal, but it hasn't been done a lot since its troublesome and just as illegal and any other way you can drive it ... a lot skylines 1989 and up I believe have been obtained by police and are being held until further notice... a few were crushed but that information is having a hard time being leaked to the public... there could have been advancements on that story since I haven't cared in so long... I just want one and I know until I have 20 grand I can't have one, which is why I'm building my other project but anyways I just figured that the jdm passtime known as skyline should be mentioned in this thread of things that are potentially illegal and why... not so out of left field

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor