Ride Height Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rgpmalibu

Greasemonkey
Oct 7, 2020
I'm just hesitant about this because the last time I had a ball joint pressed in at the shop, they charged me $95. That was for 1. It took me by surprise when I saw the bill. I had to get it done because I ruined the threads. And if I do have an offset problem, I'm back where I started from. Maybe I can go to Discount and throw the tires through the front window like the old lady in the commercial. I don't even have 50 miles on the tires.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Before I bought anything new, I'd get the alignment set correctly (not the factory settings). The figure out exactly what ahd where the rubs are. But I do agree with Mike on noth c**ts, the offset looks like it could be better ad smaller tires would most likely solve your issue.

Regarding the smaller tire in the front concern - this defines either your age or attitude ;)

I'm too old school to not want any rake. I think G's that are supposed to be fast need some rake.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
I'm just hesitant about this because the last time I had a ball joint pressed in at the shop, they charged me $95. That was for 1. It took me by surprise when I saw the bill. I had to get it done because I ruined the threads. And if I do have an offset problem, I'm back where I started from. Maybe I can go to Discount and throw the tires through the front window like the old lady in the commercial. I don't even have 50 miles on the tires.
the uppers bolt in so you won't have a press-in issue.are the control arms stock or aftermarket?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Rgpmalibu

Greasemonkey
Oct 7, 2020
the uppers bolt in so you won't have a press-in issue.are the control arms stock or aftermarket?
UMI uppers and lowers. Do you have a part number on those tall uppers? I know the lowers are Proforged.
Before I bought anything new, I'd get the alignment set correctly (not the factory settings). The figure out exactly what ahd where the rubs are. But I do agree with Mike on noth c**ts, the offset looks like it could be better ad smaller tires would most likely solve your issue.

Regarding the smaller tire in the front concern - this defines either your age or attitude ;)

I'm too old school to not want any rake. I think G's that are supposed to be fast need some rake.
I think the rake would look pretty badass actually. Totally not against that. I'm 48 - not sure what the cutoff age is for that, but I'm in. The car has a 350HP 5.3L, and its plenty fast for me, so I think the rake might work. Its past the point of looking like a sleeper granny car anyway.

Reactions: 1 user

Rgpmalibu

Greasemonkey
Oct 7, 2020

Also, what are noth c**ts? Is that an industry term?

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Rgpmalibu

Greasemonkey
Oct 7, 2020
Got it. Totally missed that, but it made me giggle like a school girl. I needed that nailhead, thank you!

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Got it. Totally missed that, but it made me giggle like a school girl. I needed that nailhead, thank you!
Auto correct gone wrong!!!!

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
I've got to throw this out there.
Looking at your picture, would the tire still rub the bottom if the lower corner of the fender before the wheel if the fender was pulled out? I had a 86 El Camino years back that with the lower chin spoiler would rub the bottom corner of the fenders. Turned out the GM replacement fenders were tweaked in at the wheel opening. I ended up adding the 81-88 Monte Carlo fender brace which kept the fender profile before the wheel same as behind. This also helped with the alignment of the urethane filler panel at the top of the bumper.
This is a picture of the fenders off the car but notice the profile of the front of the opening follows close to the rear.

P1011782.JPG P1011791.JPG

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor