Ring and pinion questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

LedSled

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 15, 2016
Check out Quick's Performance. About the cheapest you'll find and quality stuff. Excellent people and customer service.

Are you planning on a bearing kit and rebuild of the posi?

Total rebuild. Rear will be powder coated so as ling as it's being stripped, I may as well replace bearings.

I can offer a set of factory 3.42s that came out of my GN axle. About 80K on them. I put in Richmond 3.73s and an Auburn.

Current setup is 3:42 open. Going 3:73 posi.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I have the GM 3.73's out of my 2008 GMC Sierra 1/2 ton. Maybe 80k miles on them. I went to 4.10's. I think they are technically an 8.6" ring gear so I'm not entirely sure if they are compatible. Maybe someone knows who will chime in? I'm willing to sell them for a reasonable amount if they would work and you can use them. I have them in the Styrofoam packing and box the Richmond gears came out of. The replacement gears in my truck are a little noisy. I run them hard for 60k miles with no issue though.

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Steve- no, I thought GM made their own. At least every one I have seen had "GM" stamped on them. If not GM, then I wonder who?

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
That's what I thought when I read the first post but I looked up a few threads about Richmond gears being noisey and about 1/2 of them find the gears noisey and some took it to a shop because of the noise and found that the gears were set up correctly.
That's interesting as I have to think how many companies make the gears now. When was the last GM made using these gears? Popularity for replacing the gears? Most people found a used rear end assembly and swapped it out as it was a cheaper way to go. We used to replace the bearings, new crush sleeve, set the pinion preload and using the original shims we could cure most noise but if the gears were bad....swap it out as setting up a new set was a pain, time consuming and not profitable.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Total rebuild. Rear will be powder coated so as ling as it's being stripped, I may as well replace bearings.

I haven't seen you mention what kind of power your making, but Quick's has an 8.6 package with gears, bearing kit, posi, and axles that should with stand 700--900HP. 30 spline Moser axles. The posi unit is an 8.6 Yukon clutch posi that will bolt into an 8.5" housing, and American made bearings. Cost around $700.

FWIW - when you see the 30 spline Moser axles and compare them to the stock 28 spline you'll think the stock axles are toothpicks :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY

I haven't seen you mention what of power your making, but Quick's has an 8.6 package with gears, bearing kit and axles that should with stand 700--900HP. 30 spline Moser axles, an 8.6 Yukon clutch posi that will bolt into an 8.5" housing, and American made bearings. Cost around $700.

FWIW - when you see the 30 spline Moser axles and compare them to the stock 28 spline you'll think the stock axles are toothpicks :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor