Ring & Pinion Gear questions???

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Most likely you need the set for a 2 series carrier. Most of our cars had 3.08 or taller gears in them from the factory. What is the ratio in your car now?

David.C

Greasemonkey
Sep 6, 2012
DRIVEN said:
Most likely you need the set for a 2 series carrier. Most of our cars had 3.08 or taller gears in them from the factory. What is the ratio in your car now?

I don't know, what's the easy way to check? I'm guessing pull the diff cover and count teeth?

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
David.C said:
DRIVEN said:

I don't know, what's the easy way to check? I'm guessing pull the diff cover and count teeth?
quick way to check the ratio is to raise the rear off the floor, put the trans in neutral, and spin the tire one revolution. then count the amount of times the driveshaft turns. You might want to use a white marking pen on the shaft and use the valve stem on the tire for reference. Or, if you have the RPO code from the sticker, thats easiest.

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
It,s stamped in the end of the pinion and around the edge of the ring gear,divide the big number by the smaller one.This set has 15 and 41 works out to 2.73 ratio. everything below 3.08 would be a Series 2 carrier and Every thing above is series 3.

Attachments

• imagesCAB0DN17.jpg
    imagesCAB0DN17.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 392

David.C

Greasemonkey
Sep 6, 2012
The answer is I have the standard 2.41 rear end, 2 series carrier it is. thanks all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor