RIP another iconic American company

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
They weren't competitive anymore, so that's what happens. Briggs and Stratton and Honda own the small engine market with Briggs being the low end, and Honda being the more expensive, more reliable manufacturer.

srercrcr

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2006
San Antonio, Texas
They've been a big supplier of residential A/C compressors as well. Is that shutting down?

Uncletruck

Master Mechanic
Apr 22, 2007
Erie, PA
Tec's compressor business is still alive- for the time being, the company is owned by a hodling company that is breaking it up and selling it or shutting it down.

They just couldn't compete with China for small engines. What sucks is the Snow King was an excellent engine for us (less fortunate) snow blower owners. Now even Briggs and Stratton's small horizontal shaft engines are China sourced. With Tecumseh gone, snow blowers will have either a cheap Chinese engine, or you spend 3 times as much over a Toro or Ariens for a Honda blower. And many of Honda's small engines are China or Indonesia built also. Honda snow blowers are good, but not worth three times the price of Toro or Ariens IMHO.

What happened in Japan will happen in China too. Eventually the water will level out, as people there aren't going to be doing all that manufacturing forever for 35 cents an hour. But, it won't likely level out in the remainder of my lifetime.

-UT-

GP John

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 14, 2008
Ohio
They used to have a plant in Marion Oh. The workers went on strike and set the plant on fire. Put themselves out of a job.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
Uncletruck said:
That sounds like the typical thing unionized workers would do :mrgreen: quote]
x10x100

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
Uncletruck said:
Small enigne manufacturer Tecumseh, noted best for their Snow King snow blower engines produced its last small engine on Dec 15, 2008. The company's engine manufacturing roots dated back to 1895.

-UT-

I have one of those snow blowers that I got from my grandpa. It has to be like 10 or 15 years old and is still going, barely, but it still gets the job done. I think it is finally time to rebuild the carb on it, I think its still original. Even though it is running crappy it still managed to get through about a foot of snow, slowly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor