RIP Gary Rossington

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Not much to say beyond the title. Last of the original band members is now home with his brothers rocking out in the skies above.

Was able to see him play, I wonder if it mightve been one of his last shows. Great band, great guys, great loss.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
Last time I saw them was in the early 80s when they did the Rossington Collins thing with Dale Kranz singing. The encore was an instrumental of Freebird as a tribute to Ronny. Was so good we went to the next show hundreds of miles away the next day.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Last time I saw them was in the early 80s when they did the Rossington Collins thing with Dale Kranz singing. The encore was an instrumental of Freebird as a tribute to Ronny. Was so good we went to the next show hundreds of miles away the next day.
Let's give this a try...

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I saw them as Rossington Collins band as well. Rock Superbowl 11, Saturday, July 4, 1981 at Orlando's Tangerine Bowl, aka Citrus Bowl. They were there with Billy Squire, REO Speedwagon, and Foghat. We were on the field about 10 rows (or beach towels) back from the stage and they allowed coolers and well, it was one of the best concert experiences in my life. I had just turned 21. Place was packed and crazy! Sunburned and rocked out all afternoon and half the night. I think it was more an REO Speedwagon show with 3 extended opening acts, but nonetheless it was pretty awesome! October was Rolling Stones and Van Halen, but I couldn't get tix to that one.

I remember some of the songs played, but found the setlist.

Billy Squire
  1. In the Dark
  2. Rich Kid
  3. My Kinda Lover
  4. Whadda You Want From Me
  5. Lonely Is the Night
  6. Young Girls
  7. I Need You
  8. The Stroke
  9. Too Daze Gone
  10. The Big Beat
Foghat
  1. Stone Blue
  2. My Babe
  3. Eight Days on the Road
  4. Wide Boy
  5. Fool for the City
  6. Third Time Lucky (First Time I Was a Fool)
  7. Honey Hush
  8. Live Now Pay Later
  9. Slow Ride
  10. I Just Want to Make Love to You
Rossington Collins
  1. Prime Time
  2. Opportunity
  3. Misery Loves Company
  4. One Good Man
  5. Winners and Losers
  6. Getaway
  7. Three Times As Bad
  8. Don't Misunderstand Me
  9. Sometimes You Can Put It Out
  10. Free Bird
REO Speedwagon
  1. Don't Let Him Go
  2. Like You Do
  3. Keep Pushin'
  4. Only the Strong Survive
  5. Tough Guys
  6. Time for Me to Fly
  7. Take It on the Run
  8. Keep On Loving You
  9. Roll With the Changes
  10. Flying Turkey Trot
  11. Say You Love Me or Say Goodnight
  12. Back on the Road Again
  13. Ridin' the Storm Out
  14. 157 Riverside Avenue
  15. Golden Country
  16. Shakin' It Loose
But yeah, Gary Rossington's passing does sorta suck, but it was good to see him live in action at least once. They were still a pretty good band even after Skynrd.

1678115541819.png

1678115430688.png

Reactions: 3 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I saw them as Rossington Collins band as well. Rock Superbowl 11, Saturday, July 4, 1981 at Orlando's Tangerine Bowl, aka Citrus Bowl. They were there with Billy Squire, REO Speedwagon, and Foghat. We were on the field about 10 rows (or beach towels) back from the stage and they allowed coolers and well, it was one of the best concert experiences in my life. I had just turned 21. Place was packed and crazy! Sunburned and rocked out all afternoon and half the night. I think it was more an REO Speedwagon show with 3 extended opening acts, but nonetheless it was pretty awesome! October was Rolling Stones and Van Halen, but I couldn't get tix to that one.

I remember some of the songs played, but found the setlist.

Billy Squire
  1. In the Dark
  2. Rich Kid
  3. My Kinda Lover
  4. Whadda You Want From Me
  5. Lonely Is the Night
  6. Young Girls
  7. I Need You
  8. The Stroke
  9. Too Daze Gone
  10. The Big Beat
Foghat
  1. Stone Blue
  2. My Babe
  3. Eight Days on the Road
  4. Wide Boy
  5. Fool for the City
  6. Third Time Lucky (First Time I Was a Fool)
  7. Honey Hush
  8. Live Now Pay Later
  9. Slow Ride
  10. I Just Want to Make Love to You
Rossington Collins
  1. Prime Time
  2. Opportunity
  3. Misery Loves Company
  4. One Good Man
  5. Winners and Losers
  6. Getaway
  7. Three Times As Bad
  8. Don't Misunderstand Me
  9. Sometimes You Can Put It Out
  10. Free Bird
REO Speedwagon
  1. Don't Let Him Go
  2. Like You Do
  3. Keep Pushin'
  4. Only the Strong Survive
  5. Tough Guys
  6. Time for Me to Fly
  7. Take It on the Run
  8. Keep On Loving You
  9. Roll With the Changes
  10. Flying Turkey Trot
  11. Say You Love Me or Say Goodnight
  12. Back on the Road Again
  13. Ridin' the Storm Out
  14. 157 Riverside Avenue
  15. Golden Country
  16. Shakin' It Loose
But yeah, Gary Rossington's passing does sorta suck, but it was good to see him live in action at least once. They were still a pretty good band even after Skynrd.

View attachment 217388

View attachment 217387
Was one of those acts you could see more than once through the years and still look forward to seeing it again.

Some concerts you just don't want to be on the field no matter how good the music is. Nice thing about them was, the crowd was always a decent bunch - even with the drunks, you didn't really have to think about 'problems'

Reactions: 1 users

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011
I live here in Jacksonville. fl. Definitely not a compliment to me at age 53 last year, but more than once last year or so eating out on the westside of town wearing a Skynard appropriate hat & shirt, I think middle-aged women have mistaken me for him. Cool though, I liked the surprised look on my wife's face when getting waved at so excitedly... Eh, guess my dogs will be the only ones that happy to see me now.:rolleyes:
Being in the door & window business, I occasionally end up somewhere cool. Me & a co-worker went to an unassuming house in approx 2000 or so with for a customer by the name of Larkin Collins. Walked around to the back of the house and there was this wall full of gold records. Had no idea it was Allen Collins' daddy. That sort of thing doesn't exactly happen too often to us normal people. At least it's good to have some happy memories pop up when someone of some importance in your life dies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor