Road trip recommendations for the south west US

KCP

Master Mechanic
Oct 11, 2018
Bavaria, Germany
I'm sitting on tons of unused holidays and overtime hours. So I might as well take a couple of them and set off for a 3-4 week road trip through the south west US around November - December this year, renting a camper van.
I might as well buy a car to bring it back to Germany. Starting and end-point would be Los Angeles, a friend of mine owns an Jeep accessoiries and import / export business there and could act as a shipping agent for the car then.
I've usually been to the US in summer time, so what would GBF recommend? Any good places to buy a reasonable priced classic car? Thinking of a 50-70's panel van or 4x4 van. Any tour recommendations without getting into snow (I have enough snow at home at this time of year and want to head for higher temps)?

78chevolds

Greasemonkey
Jun 25, 2013
What are your interests? Are you an outdoorsman? Are you interested in American or Native American history? There are plenty of National Parks, such as the Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Yosemite as examples. As you know America is expansive and you can easily spend a week each in only 4 national parks for example.

KCP

Master Mechanic
Oct 11, 2018
Bavaria, Germany
National parks are definitly on the list, just don't wanna hit snow. I thought about a round trip through hitting Nevada and or Arizona too.
Outddors yes, also history interested.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I'm sitting on tons of unused holidays and overtime hours. So I might as well take a couple of them and set off for a 3-4 week road trip through the south west US around November - December this year, renting a camper van.
I might as well buy a car to bring it back to Germany. Starting and end-point would be Los Angeles, a friend of mine owns an Jeep accessoiries and import / export business there and could act as a shipping agent for the car then.
I've usually been to the US in summer time, so what would GBF recommend? Any good places to buy a reasonable priced classic car? Thinking of a 50-70's panel van or 4x4 van. Any tour recommendations without getting into snow (I have enough snow at home at this time of year and want to head for higher temps)?
I don't live in the southwest. (Disclaimer)

I have, however, traveled through it a couple times in that november/December timeframe and I'm afraid you might still see cold and/or snow, although, cold is a relative term and will still be warmer than Germany at the same time of year.

We encountered snow in New Mexico driving home from a car purchase in late November. Also had cold Temps high 30s low 40s in Las Vegas in late December.

Southern California may be your best bet or.a swath nearer the Mexico border to have a best shot at warmer temp, but, limits what you can see/do.

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
Prescott Ariizona east through Jerome on up to Flagstaff Arizona.

KCP

Master Mechanic
Oct 11, 2018
Bavaria, Germany
I just looked up SEMA in Vegas. Seems it'll take place this year, so might check this too.

Reactions: 1 user

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
If you will go to the Grand Canyon, another really amazing site is Chaco Canyon in northwest NM. Ride the Durango & Silverton narrow gauge railroad, a bit to the north. Bandelier National Monument is an easy hike and short drive from Santa Fe. Carlsbad Caverns goes deep underground near El Paso. White Sands is also nearby.

Reactions: 1 users

KCP

Master Mechanic
Oct 11, 2018
Bavaria, Germany
Been there nearly 30 yrs ago. White Sands at full moon on a motorbike was a blast. Nearly forgot about that. We've been in snow up on Estes Pass on the motorbikes in September.

Reactions: 1 user

78chevolds

Greasemonkey
Jun 25, 2013
I would suggest the Southwest National Parks, Joshua National Park in CA, parks in Arizona, snf New Mexico. It will get cold but not an abundance of snow. I am from New England area of the country, but have traveled to the Southwest but only during the warmer months. I would also consider driving parts of RT 66. I think if you get up to Northern Utah, Northern Colorado, etc you will deal with a lot of snow and ice. I am sure members in the Southwest can offer better suggestions.

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor