Rochester M4ME on 305?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Looter

Apprentice
Jun 27, 2016
Thinking about upgrading the carb on my 1978 305 from the stock Rochester 2GC to an M4ME off an ‘86 C10 that’s in my local yard, with the intake it’d be about $70

Is the power difference worth the work and money?

Also is the stock intake on a 2BBL 305 the same as a 4BBL sbc (yes they’re both first gen sbcs)

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Hehehehe. I remember doing this on my 1st car (78 Caprice, 305) when I was 16. Of course, back then I didn't know what I know today. Performance wise, I think it slowed down, but it sure sounded cool when the secondaries opened! :rofl: Don't forget to flip the air cleaner lid, so it sucks in all that hot air, too.

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
If the MAME is from the car at the yard, how do you know what condition its in? I would have it rebuilt first. While your at it, upgrade the cam. With the MAME upgrade & the cam, you will feel some gains.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
if you drive the car with only the mains open with the 4 barrel you will lose performance but gain fuel economy. You'll gain performance when opening the secondaries. If you are buying a quadrajet and intake for $70 the quadrajet is basically a core that needs a rebuild unless you are extremely lucky.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Been there, done that, got a "T" shirt that says "IDIOT", I wasted a ton of time and money on a 1980 Firebird 301 and in the end the 2 barrel worked better. There is a reason it came with a 2 barrel carb. If it has dead gears in the rear, single exhaust, small cam, and is a heavy car with a small low performance motor then that is all it needs. To get a 4 barrel to work right you must up grade everything else to compliment it. A change of rear gears will actually wake the car up better than a carb change.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Michael Watts

Master Mechanic
Dec 12, 2017
I would run an 1979 or earlier Q jet if you are going to run one . Or around a 600 CFM carb. Then have it tuned

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
If your 2 barrel is working good I'd stay with it. You get off the line quicker with a 2 barrel and the 2 barrel will nevder run out of fuel no matter what revs you're at. We ran a 500 Holley on our GM crate 604 in our sportsman car and it never ran out of fuel and was still pulling all the way to the rev limiter set at 6300.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor