Rockatansky's Bold, Brash and Blocky 1978 Malibu Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I'm enjoying your build thread so far. Please keep the updates coming. You mentioned replacing the grill. Are you going back to the chrome type grill, and are you replacing the headlight bezels as well? Are you going to keep the same 17" rims on the car? Do you know the width and backspacing on those rims? What size tires are you using?
I'm liking the colour combination that you've chosen. Looking forward to seeing the car with the body and paint done. Nice work so far.

vanrah

G-Body Guru
Apr 16, 2013
Near Afton, Wisconsin
Greetings Mrockatandky & all; Great story & fantastic color choice. Did you check out my for sale post, aluminum drive shaft could be a nice light weight addition? Good luck, I'll be watch'in your progress. Bob Jr.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Very cool, anxious to see how you make out.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I dig the paint color you chose. You've set yourself up with a great network of resources, and your progress is puttin' some of us to shame...

Make sure the roller rockers are self-aligning - the OEM Vortec heads use stamped rockers with a ridge on either side to keep them indexed on the end of the valve - the slot for the pushrods is a round hole rather than two flats used in old school heads.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Mrockatansky

Greasemonkey
Feb 14, 2016
Toronto
Hey everyone!

Great feedback and comments, really appreciated and super motivating for me.

What a day. Went to see the painter/body guy, Paul, took a day off work to do so and of course Murphy's law strikes and I wake up to a goodly amount of snow on the ground and absolute bedlam on the roads.

Perfect for a 120 Mile drive out to see about getting my car body completed. This took a lot longer than I thought. Thank you Old Man Winter.

Get to see Paul in London Ontario and was greeted by a much older bow tie in the shop with a fresh coat of paint on it.

Here is some car p*rn for you gents:

Spent some time with Paul discussing my project and am very confident that he is the guy to paint my car. The fact that he has an 84 Monte SS kind of sealed the deal actually. Looks like the car is going in next week and should be finished in about 6 weeks or so. Should have lots of pictures once this process starts.

On the way back from London, Ontario I stop in Kitchener area to meet a guy named Ron to pick up one of my ubiquitous Kijiji part finds-Hotchkis trailing arm braces and cheap too at $100 in like new condition.

Spend the next 45 minutes engaged in some awesome car talk with Ron, who ended up being a real champ of a guy. Turns out he has an old tubbed and fast as hell Camaro (a 71 I think) and a really cool Buick T-Type G body! Is this nuts or what? 2 people in one day both fellow G body guys. Suffice to say he has a bunch more parts we are going to talk about and truth be told it was really nice connecting with him. He was a great source of knowledge and really cool as well. I told him about my build thread on the forum and it is my hope he will see this some day soon.

Got me thinking about waxing poetic on something for a quick moment.

Something that has struck me since I bought the car and started the build is that the thing I love most about this process is the people. Its so refreshing and nice to meet people from such different walks of life with a uniting and shared passion for cars and making them better. I am really thankful to have had such rewarding and enriching experiences with so many really neat individuals so far.
Makes me feel really glad about finally joining the forum and spreading the G Body gospel.

I also received a couple of pictures from the upholsterer today with my new bench seat held up together for me to take a peek at, figured I would share it:

My upholsterer also fabricated a new speaker board/rear deck shelf for me. This is much more sturdy and handsome than the piece of cardboard that was there from the factory. I ordered all new speakers for the car, Infinity 6x9's for the rear deck and a nice 4x10 for the single dash speaker. The 4x10's came as a pair, so if anyone needs a dash speaker and is local you are more than welcome to it. This is going to be paired with some fresh 16 gauge speaker wire and a Kenwood KDC-X997 head unit.

Here is how the rear deck shelf looks so far:

Clean8485, thanks for the questions. I am planning on keeping the chrome type grill and also plan on replacing or restoring all the brightwork on the car. Here is the reproduction Goodmark Grille I have:

I am at a bit of a loss for headlight bezels right now. I don't think I can re-chrome or re-finish the ones that are on the car right now and when I look for new ones for a 1978 Bu' all that seems to be listed at online parts places is the right hand bezel.. Perhaps this can be flipped upside down and used on the left side as well?? I feel rather silly saying that so not really sure how to proceed yet... and finding the lack of a left hand bezel available online truly perplexing.

Definitely keeping the 17's on the car. Really enamoured with the rims

Tire size I am currently running is a staggered 235/45/ZR17 on the front and a slightly wider and more aggressive 245/50/ZR17 on the rear.

Not exactly sure offhand on the exact rim width and backspacing, but I shall get that info for you and let you know.

Thanks all for the interest and support.

Last edited:

EME_Mack

Greasemonkey
Totally rad build, it looks like you are pulling out all the stops for this beast. I had those rear hotchkis A-arm connectors on my Kijiji watch list for when I do the annual trip to ontario for car parts... I mean see the family. It looks like they will be put to good use. Keep up the good work

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
You're right about the people you meet in the course of navigating your G-body project. It's amazing sometimes what you can get just by asking politely. Paintwork has got to be the most difficult aspect of a car project. Either you've got talent, you've got money, or you've got primer.

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I don't mean to be the bearer of bad news, (or perhaps you just mislabeled them) but those Hotchkis pieces you posted as trailing arms actually aren't. They are in fact trailing arm "braces" that tie the upper and lower trailing arm mounts together on the front side of the rear crossmember.
If you already knew this, my apologies and please disregard. If you didn't know that, and did indeed think they were trailing arms, don't dispair, they are still an excellent and worthy upgrade for our cars.
Either way, at $100, you couldn't go wrong!
Enjoying the updates, keep us posted!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Mrockatansky

Greasemonkey
Feb 14, 2016
Toronto
Rktpwrd, Good Catch! Have just changed the part name-Thank you.

SSN696, woke up in a cold sweat thinking "sh*t, did I get the right roller rockers".

Checked the ever growing parts pile and was relieved that I do have the Scorpion SCP1035 self-aligning rocker arms-good looking out.

I sure as hell am running out of money at breakneck speed, so I am hoping for lots of talent and as a fallback good primer for my paint job.

Best,

M

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor