Roller Rockers

Status
Not open for further replies.

78sik ick

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 3, 2012
I'm looking at getting a new set of rockers for my Brodix heads. I have around $300 to spend and have looked at Harland Sharp, CC Ultra pro, Scorpion, CC Ultra Golds. Some are aluminum and some are steel. just wondering if I should go with the steel since it is driven about 3-4k miles every year, BUT also spins up to 7k so aluminum would be nice for the weight. Just looking for any input you guys have. I feel like its just a toss up, everyone says one is beter than the other and this one breaks more than this one....
Any suggestions
thanks

Steel is stronger and aluminum is lighter. That being said I would go with theHarland Sharp aluminum rollers. Most people I know with performance engines use Harland Sharps and I have never heard a bad thing about them.

I would get something like Comp.Cams Magnum chrome moly roller rockers or something comparable. With this design even though the rocker is overall heavier than an aluminum rocker the actual weight on the valve is about the same or less.
The steel rocker will be stronger,more durable, last far longer and will not fatigue like all aluminum rockers will eventually do.
Stainless steel would be the strongest rockers you can run but are probably overkill for your application.

565bbchevy said:
I would get something like Comp.Cams Magnum chrome moly roller rockers or something comparable. With this design even though the rocker is overall heavier than an aluminum rocker the actual weight on the valve is about the same or less.
The steel rocker will be stronger,more durable, last far longer and will not fatigue like all aluminum rockers will eventually do.
Stainless steel would be the strongest rockers you can run but are probably overkill for your application.

Took the words right out of my mouth

565bbchevy said:

I don't necessarily disagree with the aluminum rockers suffering from fatigue, but I don't think it's nearly the problem you make it sound to be. Especially given the cost difference. I've been running mine for going on 14 years now and they were used with unknown mileage before I got them. I'd say i've put 30k miles on them as well, alot of them being hard miles.

Now with my luck, after saying that, i'll prolly break one the next time I fire it up. :roll:

I have never heard of a good set of rockers like Scorpions or Harlands getting fatigued. My dad has been running the same set for about 9 years now and they have seen 3 different 500hp+ big blocks with no issue. I can understand once you get in the high lift, sustained high RPM, and high rocker arm ratios that maybe it would be an issue but im definatley going with aluminum for mine.

I have seen failures in almost every brand of aluminum roller rockers even top end Jesel Shaft rockers .
Now many applications that are mild builds or summer cruisers might never see a failure.
But when you start making power, durability is something you are willing to pay extra for along with peace of mind, if I break an aluminum rocker at 7400 RPM on my big block what will that end up costing me.
I know it's not a fair comparison because of the added stress but why do you think even the very best aluminum rods are not used on the streets when they are cheaper than a comparable steel rod, simple they have a finite lifespan and will fatigue.
Aluminum roller rockers are less exspensive to make and they are cheaper to buy and are definetly an upgrade from most factory set ups but they have their limits, all I'm saying is if your going to push your engine get a rocker that will handle it and last doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor