running rough

Status
Not open for further replies.

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
Timing chain could be on the brink of letting go but I would assume that the problem wouldn't go away if something did happen with the chain (skipped a tooth).
Do you have an EGR valve?
I assume that this car isn't running on a computer.

Skitter302

Apprentice
Jan 20, 2014
USA, WA
Plugs look fine, wires are fine.

@88hurstolds No EGR, no computer.

trying to find my timing light still.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I would try a different ignition module, they can go bad at any time. If you have a spare distributor to put in that would be helpful

Skitter302

Apprentice
Jan 20, 2014
USA, WA
So here is what the issue was.

When was replacing the ignition coil for a new one I receive a defective coil that arc'd for 10 seconds before killing the icm. I replaced the icm and coil and soon after that's when my problem started. I guess the the arcing damaged my pickup coil and that is what was causing the issue. I wish I had the tools to replace it myself but I ended up taking the Cutlass to a my local mechanic .

Thanks all for ideas on what the issue was.

Problem solved and the Cutlass runs great (again).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor