S.B.C. Swap Specific Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

B1tchin'-Buick

Master Mechanic
Jan 11, 2010
Before buying more parts for my V6 to S.B.C. swap, I would like to cross reference some info. I have A Re-Manned G.M. internally balanced 350. I have alot of coupons from shopping at auto-Zone so much. I want to make certain that I am getting the right part.

I only want to install the Flex-Plate and harmonic balancer ONCE.... :mrgreen:

1)"Jegs" states whether or not their Flexplates and harmonic balancers are internally/externally balanced or not. Where as "Auto-Zone's" web page does not????? Did the 1St. Gen S.B.C. back in the day come factory balanced like the Re-Manufactured ones do today????? Auto-Zones parts are direct re-placement but are they balanced or not????

I know, call Auto-Zone and ask. That would be fine if I hadn't received wrong parts from them in the past.....

2) Engine/Motor Mounts > I think I remember reading some where to get the ones that where factory in a Monte? Stupid question > 305 mounts would be the same as the 350, right? The pictures in the "Swap Sticky" aren't the best...
???????To make my life easier can some one give a Specific Part # and a good picture of the Exact mounts I need?????

I have been doing all kinds of crazy research lately. I want to be sure I am doing things correctly and not wasting my time Installing the wrong parts.

Thanks <Mike>

MightyCarlo86

Greasemonkey
Dec 15, 2012
I do not know about your other questions, but I do know that the engine mounts that came from the factory in the Monte Carlo (as long as it has the 305) will fit any Chevy small block. I swapped mine from the 305 to a 350 with no problems at all. Hope this helps. Good luck!

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
^^That's correct on the mounts.^^^

As for the flexplate and balancer, if it's a pre-'86 (2 piece main seal) then it is internally balanced. That just means that the flexplate and balancer will have no balancing weights cast or welded to them. Any pre-'86 parts will work. Make sure that you order the proper flexplate (153 or 168 tooth) to match whatever starter you plan to use. For the balancer, just make sure that it's not too big to clear the timing tab on your timing cover.

The only way they would be truly balanced is if you had the entire rotating assembly balanced at the machine shop. The off-the-shelf parts are fine for a street engine.

B1tchin'-Buick

Master Mechanic
Jan 11, 2010
I pulled up A 1980 Monte with a 305, Just to verify is this the correct mount in the link?

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/ ... 9304_4222_

DRIVEN said:
^^That's correct on the mounts.^^^

As for the flexplate and balancer, if it's a pre-'86 (2 piece main seal) then it is internally balanced. That just means that the flexplate and balancer will have no balancing weights cast or welded to them. Any pre-'86 parts will work. Make sure that you order the proper flexplate (153 or 168 tooth) to match whatever starter you plan to use. For the balancer, just make sure that it's not too big to clear the timing tab on your timing cover.

The only way they would be truly balanced is if you had the entire rotating assembly balanced at the machine shop. The off-the-shelf parts are fine for a street engine.

I'm using A stock starter so I should need the 168 tooth. I will be running "Shorty Headers" so I shouldn't have clearance issues with the stock starter, correct?

I'm a long ways from this point, just planning ahead. How long will the oil pump stay primed? I know before I install the Ignition/Distributor I have to prime the pump. How long do I have to install the Distributor correctly and fire it up before the oil pump looses it's prime?? I'll be severally Pissed Off if I cook my engine.

I plan on running a Oil Pressure Gauge and temp gauge...Balancer will be 6 3/4 inches.

Thanks Guys,
<Mike>

B1tchin'-Buick

Master Mechanic
Jan 11, 2010
The question I posted previously about the oil pump seems stupid now that I think about it. The reason I brought it up is because the manual that came with my engine specifically says: "Make sure to prime pump prior to first start up". I get that but it also says "If you leave the engine sit to long you should also re-prime the pump".

So how long is to long?

Thinking I may have been responsible for cooking my V6. I never primed it after leaving it sit for long periods. "Dummy" light never came on and not having an oil pressure gauge. The tick/Knock probably could have been fixed but didn't see much sense in spending the cash on a 30 year old V6 engine...

<Mike>

86 Grand prix

Master Mechanic
Nov 13, 2012
Chocowinity NC
I started a 3.8 231 after it sat up almost six years and the oil light went right out. But it did take a lot of cranking over and that could have primed it.

Chris Van

G-Body Guru
Nov 8, 2009
Middle Ga.
In my opinion, priming the oil pump on a new engine is mainly to make sure oil is pumped throughout the engine and most importantly that you have oil pressure. When you put the dist in, spin the engine over with the power wire disconnected until the oil pressure guage moves up. Then hook the power up and try to start it. This way you will have oil pressure and oil throughout the engine immediately upon start up.

gwhiz

Greasemonkey
Aug 21, 2012
305 and 350 mounts are the same but you will need the mounts for the frame going from a v6 to v8 i belive those are different.not a 100 percent sure but you might want to research that,luckily all the g bodys i had came factory with a v8.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor