S10 Saginaw 525 manual steering box question

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
the jeep or the astro shaft won't fit on either 525 box...both 525 boxes have a 3/4 spline, the jeep and astro are 13/16"..but that's easy to fix. The problem you would have discovered if you read a little is the pitman arm on the older box has a small shaft and will not fit your pitman arm so good luck in finding something that is the right length and design to make it work. There is aftermarket pitman arms for the small shaft but I think they are only made for f bodies and they are about $200. And I don't know why your concerned with a 3/4 turn difference with lock to lock between the two boxes. Most guys like the slower box so if they get into trouble they don't over correct.

Bricktop

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 20, 2014
Thank you for the reply. I already have an aftermarket pitman arm on it. Its already in the car. I know that the older 60's stuff used the rag joint I need. But, I'm trying to get rid of the rag joint all together. I guess I can source some roundy round parts to hook it together." The problem had i read a little"? I did read that. It wasn't a concern since I already had a pitman. If YOU had went ahead and told me, instead of posting a Google search, I would have told you I had one. Don't assume every newbie is wet behind the ears with a stock car.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
you have the pitman arm but you didn't know you couldn't use the intermediate shafts you wanted to use.....what pitman arm are you using?

Bricktop

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 20, 2014
I have no idea. I bought the box off a Regal being parted out. Intermediate shaft was already gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor