s10 wheel cylinders

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALLPARTS36

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 5, 2008
Power to manual Brake conversion for 85 GP to S10 m/c??

Hello,
I have been searching for the correct answer on this Brake swap.I have seen you post many times over the last 3 days and see you trying to help out others,and You have a lot of knowledge on the different brake systems,THANKS for your help as I am needing to do this as economically as possible and with out buying alot of stuff I really don't need anyway.

OK: here is some background on my car:
85' Pontiac Grand Prix,Drag Race application only,12 bolt rearend-narrowed w/aluminum drums on rear.Front's are all new stock disc brake setup w/line lock.

Here is what I am wanting to Do:
I have read that a cheap upgrade for the wheel cylinder's is the above mentioned wheel cylinder's from the 82'/S10 with manual brakes.Cool got a positive on that one.I am needing to switch from the power brake setup to a manual.Can I just get the manual master cylinder for the 82'/S10 and use it as the donor to bolt into my "G-BODY" stock location/fitment?I have ordered a new push rod already to accommodate the longer need for the manual master cylinder setup.If so I will be very happy!,if not well I will get a good lesson in what/how to Do It.Thanks in advance for you sharing your information with me.
Jason

pose_442 said:
I believe you're referring to the s-10 without power brakes. These wheel cylinders are slightly larger than the power brake units. This puts more force onto the brake shoes. Usually, these were in the 82-93 S-10's.

To answer your question, I'd tell them 82 S-10 w/o power brakes.

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
I did the S-10 wheel cylinder swap in my GN. The only value in it is extra holding power on the line for when you are up on boost or maybe up on the converter with a big block. That is unless you have seriously upgraded the front brakes. Also noteworthy is that you have to adjust the proportioning valve for on the street especially for wet roads as the back will lock before the fronts.

srercrcr

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2006
San Antonio, Texas
As some of you know, the 78 G's have some different brake components from the 79 and later, but wheel cylinders were NOT different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor