sand blaster... any recomendations????

Status
Not open for further replies.

arocars

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 1, 2007
Massachusetts
I bought an inexpensive siphon feed sandblaster from Sears. I sand-blasted the back of my house with it. I'm sure it will work for your frame. Blasting sand comes in different grits. I called around and found a place that sells sand-blasting sand. I bought several 50lb bags from a local supplier. If you have to fight thru heavy scale or rubberized undercoating, go with the heaviest grit. Others have already told you about the mess and you are obviously aware of protecting your face/eyes. Regardless of what kind of blaster you get, purchase extra nozzles, they wear out.

86cutlassrules

Greasemonkey
Dec 12, 2008
I just bought a pressure blaster from harbor freight it works very well. It does come with a hood that works well but fogs up easy. I use a painters mask from home depot on under it so you don't inhale sand and dust and it helps keep the fog down. I did my Mustang 2 beater with it last week using just playsand from home depot. which shockingly took care of old paint and rust better then the 80 grit glass bead I bought first. However you do need a few things to make this work, a high quality water seperator and something to sift the sand through to make sure its clean. Otherwise this thing cloggs rampantly, next you'll want to buy the dead man valve its much easier to handle. Once you have your equip. Buy a sweat shirt, yard work gloves, and jeans. Also park the car on a big tarp so you can reuse the sand otherwise its a huge mess. Then go nuts. By the way I'm doing the 50 dollar paint job on the stang 2 and its actually coming out shockingly good like beter then maaco.

tonytwelvetoes

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 4, 2009
i have one of the "pod" blasters from harbor frieght and it works ok. i also have a frame off project that i am working on an 83 cutty and i found that the easiest way to take care of that undercoating is with a propane torch and a puddy knife it just comes off like butter once its heated up but i dont recomend the harbor frieght deal they have some good stuff but i have never had good luck with at home blasters and i also have an 80gallon compressor this is my frame and i had it blasted and then i covered it wwith por-15 which works excellent and looks great to
HPIM2513.jpg

supercrackerbox

Master Mechanic
Dec 29, 2008
Lincoln NE
What kind of undercoating are you trying to remove? Just the factory primer/sealer, or the heavy black dealer-applied stuff?

I don't have a lot of direct experience with sandblasting equipment for doing a project this size, but I would reccomend using soda or possibly walnut shell media. Less aggressive, yes, but also less prone to warping the sheet metal. I know Eastwood sells two levels of soda, not sure where you could get the walnut.

*Alternatively* have you considered chemical stripping? You could likely go a long way with a gallon jug of Aircraft Stripper from O'Reilly's and a large putty knife. Naturally you'll still need some heavy gloves at very least, some old coveralls would be good too.

st1nger

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 8, 2011
if you still read this thye 20lbs from harbor will work fine use white silica play sand a good canvas tarp and cheap glove and a sweat shirt frame floor undercarrage trunk wheel wells interfenders will all clean up just fine just a sample of before after shot interior on a sunday undercarrage another sunday well and other part another sunday used about 200 lbs of sand on entire car dont use on exterior panel sodablasting or a plastic media for theat type of stuff so as to your question 20lbs pressurized from harbor will do job pick up extra tips you use a few

Attachments

• Copy of IMGP0487.JPG
    Copy of IMGP0487.JPG
    349.4 KB · Views: 2,428
  • IMGP0324.JPG
    IMGP0324.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 2,432
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor