satin primer paint job?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pokertramp

G-Body Guru
Aug 10, 2008
I had a thought, please bear with me. My cars paint isn't too bad but has lots of orange peel and some rust starting. I don't know what kind of paint job I want right now but this one has always peeked my interest.

step 1. Prep the car and get whatever how man cans of Krylon satin black outdoor I need. Do the whole car this color.

step 2. get a good amount of cheesecloth and lay it on the parts I want painted. get 2 cans of tan and 2 cans of blue spray paint and paint over the cheesecloth.

step 3. buff with fine steel wool and finish off with WD-40 and a rag.

I might of had a little too much Tequila but I think it would be cheap and easy and if anyone ever scratches my car, I just pull out a can and touch it up. Any thoughts from anyone?

I also thought of going with the hotrod flatz or just the duplicolor paint shop system. I know it's what I like, that's what makes a car a custom. But I would like some insight.

jonnyslick

G-Body Guru
Jun 2, 2008
Crossville, TN
I understand part #1, but you lost me on #2 and #3 .... :shock:

But i think satin paint jobs look the t*ts if done right....

This is a great company for flat paints:
http://www.tcpglobal.com/kustomshop/ksflatz.aspx

Here are some examples:

300xyn8.jpg

flatmustanggp1.jpg

capricetw0.jpg

golf2qp2.jpg

229MonteHO

Apprentice
Jul 4, 2008
Liverpool, NY
too much Tequila isn't necessarily a bad thing! :lol:

Seriously, I kinda like the satin/flat look on some older cars. I'm thinking of doing the same thing on my Century. I was originally gonna try to clean it up and maybe repaint it something close to what it currently is, but since I've found some rust after starting to remove trim and such, I'm gonna slap a coat of black primer on it and see how she turns out. If it looks ok, i'll either spray it in satin black or leave it in black primer and maybe just put a clear over the primer. A semi rat-rod look, if you will.

Cheers,
Aaron

T-TOP TONY

Master Mechanic
Jun 13, 2008
san bernardino, ca
jonnyslick said:
Does anyone think that satin orange (like on the 300C I posted above) would look good on a g-body :?:

hell yes it would!!

pokertramp

G-Body Guru
Aug 10, 2008
YES Johnny slick that hotrod flatz is awesome!!!!!! I was also thinking of keeping the stock colors, blue and tan but do it in the flatz colors, close is good.

As far as you being lost on #2 and #3, It was something I seen done and kind of gives a snake skin look with the cheese cloth. Never tried it but I picked up a few cans today to experiment on something, NOT THE CAR,lol.

78MC-BBC

Master Mechanic
Jan 29, 2008
if you really like the satin black look, do a google search for "John Deere Blitz Black" The company Valspar make the paint for John Deere and other tractor companies and you can buy the 1 gallon of primer, 1 gallon of paint, hardener & thinner for a little over $100 and easily paint a car and have left over. alot of hotrodders even Jesse James did cars with this paint.

i did this on my 78 but with gloss black paint and have 1/2 gallon of primer left and about 1/4 gallon of paint left, enough to do a hood when i buy a new one. for the price you can beat it and it holds up very well. I wetsanded it and buffed the hell out of it and it has a good shine to it. i'd rather do this than rattle can the car.

3XBrownCutty

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2008
NW PA
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor