VHT wheel paint crackling

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
I am in the process of painting some steel wheels with VHT wheel paint (spray can) I prepped them well, followed instructions etc. They came out great except for a small spot that crinkled up on the third coat. I watched it happen. I decided to leave it for 48-60 hours. I hit it with my fingernail and it flaked off, then feathered it out with a scotch brite and shot just that spot again. Right away it did it again. Wondering whats going on???? I have spray painted a TON of stuff and get excellent results 99% of the time

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
That is called paint biting and its usually caused by paint reacting to the substrate. Either the rims were not clean well enough or not enough flash time was allowed before recoating. Moreover, aerosol paint is generally garbage tier paint,,othen mixed with too much reducer and is often weak 1K paint. Aerosol paints are very prone to bad reactions. That is why most professionals use HVLP,paint guns and 2K coatings.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
try going with suuuuuuper light coats in that spot till you've got coverage,talking almost see through they're so light.allow each to flash off and then spray it with the final med wet overall.my buddie in high school had a massive fisheye problem with this interior plastics and it took forever this way but it was passable in the end

Reactions: 2 users

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
Yeah, wish I had some insight but I have had no luck with spray paint unless you are just looking to cover stuff. I did a set of valve covers and painted them black and then cleared them and without fail the clear would just crinkle off. Sanded it over and over and couldn't figure it out. The black would be perfect and then clear it and it would do the same thing, but only the one cover. I finally gave up trying to clear it.

Reactions: 1 user
Nov 4, 2012
Sounds like surface contamination to me. Silicone can be really difficult to remove, if there was ever any tire shine near those wheels it could be the issue. Make sure you are using a good wax and grease remover with a clean rag, wipe it on with one rag, and wipe it back off with another dry rag. Do it a couple times.

Reactions: 1 users

jcelk

Apprentice
Dec 10, 2014
there are enamel spray paints and lacquer based spray paints you can put the enamel over lacquer but not lacquer over enamel it will what they call lift ..you could sand the lifting paint back to where it;s not lifted and dust light coats waiting a while between coats

• Agree

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
I try to stay away from rattle can paint. Ive used Duplicolor low gloss black engine enamel on some plastic parts under the hood but Ive also sprayed that over epoxy primer. Some of these paints need to be recoated within an hour or they have reactions. Could that be the issue with the VHT ?

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I agree with all the above. Did you use primer? Primer will insulate the new paint from any contamination that may be lurking. Plus, the primer should react to any contamination first, and be easier to correct before the top coating. Also many paints are soluble in their own solvent. That means that if overcoat times are not strictly adhered to, the solvent in the fresh coat can react with the coats beneath. I usually use Duplicolor wheel paint and it is very good stuff. But I have found that the re-coat time after 'xx' hours is too soon. I spray the many thin coats according to the directions, but if I need to re-coat after that, they say wait 7 days, but I wait at least a month.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
I agree with all the above. Did you use primer? Primer will insulate the new paint from any contamination that may be lurking. Plus, the primer should react to any contamination first, and be easier to correct before the top coating. Also many paints are soluble in their own solvent. That means that if overcoat times are not strictly adhered to, the solvent in the fresh coat can react with the coats beneath. I usually use Duplicolor wheel paint and it is very good stuff. But I have found that the re-coat time after 'xx' hours is too soon. I spray the many thin coats according to the directions, but if I need to re-coat after that, they say wait 7 days, but I wait at least a month.
I also agree about the use of primer but the downside is not all brand primers are compatible with all brands of paint. You should also check the recoat times on the back of the cans.
I made that error a few times when I was doing the wagon. The worst was the radiator shroud. Lucky for me Readystrip hadnt discontinued the stripper that was safe for plastic. Now I would have a real problem.

Reactions: 1 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
not all brand primers are compatible with all brands of paint
Rule #1 in painting is to only use products from the same manufacturer. So I use Duplicolor primer, and Duplicolor wheel paint. Sadly, the Duplicolor clear coat sucked. It yellowed like crazy. I tested and then used some Krylon clear coat and it worked much better. Sometimes you must break the rules.......Anyway here is a Jeep wheel painted with the Duplicolor. I did only basic prep, nothing crazy. No clear coat yet. I have done four complete sets like this.---------------------------------------------------------------------------- IMG_4927.JPG

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor