SBC 350 turbo build

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJ54880

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 17, 2011
Superior, WI
Hi, i want to eventually do a turbo build on my stock small block two bold 350 in my 87 cutlass. i just got the car last year and i have been doing some research on what plans i want to do for this car. My friend has a twin turbo 3000gt and after i rode in that thing i fell in love with boost. i know i should get a forged bottom end but im short on money and i only want to run low boost anyway. im only looking for goals within 400-500(whp) range, this is a street car so it doesnt need to be too out of hand. What i wanted to know is how do you think this will go? i havent seen many turbo g bodies besides gn and t-types so i want to get some ideas and some pictures of some. I am hoping the engine will hold on low boost as i seen other peoples has and the E85 should give me some lee-away :? here are some parts i have come up with that ill need.

quick fuel e85 blo thru carb (comes with a1000 fuel pump and boost referenced regulator)
Master Power T76 turbo
JGS 50mm wastegate
HKS SSQV bov
xs power turbo manifolds http://xs-power.com/gm-turbo-manifolds-3.htm (i know, they may not be the best but i can do some welding to reinforce to prevent cracking)
200cc+ combustion heads (looking for 8-9:1 compression)

thats it besides carb hat and oil lines etc. by the way i will be running E85 non intercooled.
thanks.

-nick

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
I can't help you with the turbo stuff. But what I can say is it will probably be expensive. I just bought a 436 HP 355 for $3000, no turbo, no blower, no nitrous, and on pump gas. You don't need turbo for the numbers you want, but I agree that it would be cool. 8)

maddog20_20

Master Mechanic
Nov 20, 2010
St. Louis MO
If you are short on money I wouldn't even consider turbo'ing anything (especially a T76 WOW)-- Buy a Giggle Gas setup and give it a 100-150 shot and you will get the BOOST (without the spool-up wait) and should be able to run that without an issue with proper tuning on a stock bottom end -- I had a 150 shot on my 94 stang with a stock bottom end with 72K on it and probably put 300-400 pounds of giggle gas through it and never had an issue - and it was FUN :lol:
5061_1063476638923_1586200728_30159960_1013485_n.jpg

stomis

Master Mechanic
May 14, 2010
Brick NJ
What is your idea of budget? You need to remember that if your going to build a motor you could hit that hp mark for the same price as building the base for your turbo setup.

If you're building a turbo motor whether low boost or not you really should run main studs and forged pistons. You need to take into consideration that a rotating assembly w/ forged pistons and a forged crank is only around $300-$400 more than hyper pistons and cast crank.

NJ54880

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 17, 2011
Superior, WI
I can't help you with the turbo stuff. But what I can say is it will probably be expensive. I just bought a 436 HP 355 for $3000, no turbo, no blower, no nitrous, and on pump gas. You don't need turbo for the numbers you want, but I agree that it would be cool.

thats awesome man :lol: i know it is plenty possible to make that kind of power without power adders but their is just something about boost, that makes it that much more enthusing than N/A. But plans have changed as i wont have the money for it this year anyway, so i plan on saving through to next year (considering we only have a half a year to drive our cars til snow hits) and building a Carbed LQ4/LQ9 build. I should be able to hit 450whp with that set up as i seen others have.

If you are short on money I wouldn't even consider turbo'ing anything (especially a T76 WOW)-- Buy a Giggle Gas setup and give it a 100-150 shot and you will get the BOOST (without the spool-up wait) and should be able to run that without an issue with proper tuning on a stock bottom end -- I had a 150 shot on my 94 stang with a stock bottom end with 72K on it and probably put 300-400 pounds of giggle gas through it and never had an issue - and it was FUN

haha man if i were to put 300-400 on my engine i would be crossing my fingers. My friends dad is trying to get me to put 150 shot in it and i am just not sure about it. I really dont beleive in my engine much thats why i was considering a low boost turbo build. I have not been in a car with nitrous, seen them, but never had a pass in one, so all the experience i pretty much have it with turbo. I plan on going with a Carbed LQ4/LQ9 (which ever i can find) and build it between 400-450whp. and later on in life i could run nitrous or do a turbo build on the LSX as many people run them stock bottom ends on boost without problems.

What is your idea of budget? You need to remember that if your going to build a motor you could hit that hp mark for the same price as building the base for your turbo setup.

If you're building a turbo motor whether low boost or not you really should run main studs and forged pistons. You need to take into consideration that a rotating assembly w/ forged pistons and a forged crank is only around $300-$400 more than hyper pistons and cast crank.

This year it turns out i would only have about $2,500 to play with this year so im not looking at a turbo build in this point in time. I know it is a really bad idea to add that power to a stock block but i guess i wanted to squeeze as much as i could out of her without ripping it apart. Next year i want to build a Carbed LQ4 or LQ9 (i know i mensioned it a couple times above) seeing as how people make decent power with them naturally aspirated. i see people drop 400-450whp with those engines with heads, cam, and a few other little things. I would be really happy with that for a while, but once i can get more money i wanted to run nitrous or do a turbo set up on one as people have prooved 600hp with them in stock bottom end. I dont need to go that big im just hoping in the future i can end up with something in the 500hp mark.

Thanks alot for all your replies

NJ54880

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 17, 2011
Superior, WI
Also, what rear ends are you guys running and where did you find them? right now i have the whimpy 7.5 and i know it wont handle 450 horse, maybe it will, but i want to find something else to replace it so im not stuck on the street with a broken rear end. I seen ford 9" housings with axles and bearings on ebay for around $760 shipped and then i would need the brakes and center section and i did the math and came up with and estimate for around $1500. Another rear i found is a Grand National rear end for $1200 on ebay. As of now, i think those are the only two logical options. I checked craigslist and i cant find anything for g body rears. i know you could modify a 12 bolt but im not into much modifying as of how my welding isnt the best, and my dad wouldnt be too proud of that idea. (considering im only eighteeen and in college and my dad isnt with the whold going fast thing, which is why im waiting to move out before messing with anything)

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada

NJ54880

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 17, 2011
Superior, WI
dang, that is a pretty good deal. if i had the time and the oppertunity i would take it

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
no budget, no turbo. Turbo will get expensive real quick, yes you can afford the turbo and downpipes and manifolds etc, but you really haven't even begun at that point. This would be soooo much easier to do with an LS engine, I'd strongly recommend taking a look at an engine swap if you want to build for a turbo. (that thread that I complained about the 5.3, yes that would be a decent choice for what you're planning on doing).

I'd personally take the money you set aside for a turbo, then drop in a good ls1 or 6.0, and you'd be two steps ahead of the game in fuel and spark and tuning ability vs your sbc. Now it can be done on a sbc, not trying to persuade you otherwise, but it makes life a lot easier when you can play with the computer vs a carb and hei with an electronic ignition. If the plan is to keep an lq4 or lq9, please keep the fuel injection (esp if turboing is an idea sometime down the road) !! I mean you don't have to, but most people who do that are only strip cars, better to take the time and convert your fuel system and use a stock computer...but if this is just a track car go do your thing

... if you're not sure about 150 shot on your engine currently, then don't even think about a turbo. Just a few psi on a 350 will make some bigtime power, and if your fuel is off a little before tuning you could make a lot more work than you bargained for, you need a very strong reliable block to begin with if going sbc

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il
good luck! heres some inspiration:
l.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor