SBC 350 turbo build

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJ54880

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 17, 2011
Superior, WI
no budget, no turbo. Turbo will get expensive real quick, yes you can afford the turbo and downpipes and manifolds etc, but you really haven't even begun at that point. This would be soooo much easier to do with an LS engine, I'd strongly recommend taking a look at an engine swap if you want to build for a turbo. (that thread that I complained about the 5.3, yes that would be a decent choice for what you're planning on doing).

I'd personally take the money you set aside for a turbo, then drop in a good ls1 or 6.0, and you'd be two steps ahead of the game in fuel and spark and tuning ability vs your sbc. Now it can be done on a sbc, not trying to persuade you otherwise, but it makes life a lot easier when you can play with the computer vs a carb and hei with an electronic ignition. If the plan is to keep an lq4 or lq9, please keep the fuel injection (esp if turboing is an idea sometime down the road) !! I mean you don't have to, but most people who do that are only strip cars, better to take the time and convert your fuel system and use a stock computer...but if this is just a track car go do your thing

... if you're not sure about 150 shot on your engine currently, then don't even think about a turbo. Just a few psi on a 350 will make some bigtime power, and if your fuel is off a little before tuning you could make a lot more work than you bargained for, you need a very strong reliable block to begin with if going sbc

yeah i definately would be getting in way over my head if i tried to do a turbo build on my sbc now, considering if something did go wrong, i wouldnt have the money to do anything else and i would be skrewed. i do plan on going the LQ 6.0 route instead though because its a much more reliable block and i would have the tuning features if i did plan to go turbo later on. I do want to do carb on the 6.0 though with the MSD 6010. I wouldnt need stock ecm, run all that pain in the *ss wiring, or get the computer re flashed. i dont really care about the gas mileage loss and GM magazine ran one on a carb and it should hit some higher hp numbers than fuel injected. Plus, with the MSD box you can adjust timing and what not and it has 2 step, even if i dont need it. a cam and heads make over 400 horse in those engines so that should complete my goals. and a couple years later once i get bored i can do something else but ill have money by then and a good block to do it on.

NJ54880

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 17, 2011
Superior, WI
ThiS car is for sale by the way. Never did the turbo build on the sbc though. Decided to turbo a 5.3 in an s10

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor